VMware Cloud Community
CSOPS1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connect an ESX 4.0 Host to 2 different SAN's

Hi -

Just wondering is it possible to connect a host to 2 different Fibre Channel SAN's in 2 different sites. I think it's possible but I'm mindful that if your are presenting LUN's from both SAN's that you have to be vigilant about the LUN ID's. Also is it possible to still support multipathing while connected to 2 FC SAN's?

Can anybody comment on their experiences? Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards,

Wesley

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just wondering is it possible to connect a host to 2 different Fibre Channel SAN's in 2 different sites. I think it's possible but I'm mindful that if your are presenting LUN's from both SAN's that you have to be vigilant about the LUN ID's. Also is it possible to still support multipathing while connected to 2 FC SAN's?

yes, this is possible and supported. You just need to give the WWN's to your Enterprise Storage team, they present storage, your recan your storage adapers (or possibly reboot), add storage and set your pathing policy on each LUN.

We are doing this now, as we are in the middle of an SAN migration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, this is possible and supported. You just need to give the WWN's to your Enterprise Storage team, they present storage, your recan your storage adapers (or possibly reboot), add storage and set your pathing policy on each LUN.

We are doing this now, as we are in the middle of an SAN migration.

0 Kudos
CSOPS1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats what I thought - however I am right in saying that you need to be careful not to duplicate LUN ID's from the 2 different SAN's?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

.. however I am right in saying that you need to be careful not to duplicate LUN ID's from the 2 different SAN's?

No, not at all. The LUN-ID depends on the target (storage system).

You only have to use the same LUN-ID when presenting a LUN from one target (storage) to multiple initiators (ESX hosts)

André