VMware Cloud Community
Lopert2h
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confirmation on launching without VT-x/EPT

Hello,

I've got some problems launching machines on my Hypervisor, that hasn't got EPT. Every time I power on any VM, I've got this confirmation message "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform. Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT?" and EVERY time I must click on "Yes". It's very anoying...

Is there any way / any configuration option to assume always YES answer? I've already tried this:

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

monitor.virtual_exec = "software"

and forcing software virtualization in vSphere GUI, but without any success.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

One simple method could be to set the answer to TRUE at any questions by adding:

msg.autoanswer = "TRUE" in the vmx file

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you want this to be changed in all VMs inside the host,

Connect to your host machine using ssh

Edit /etc/vmware/config file and remove the line

vhv.enable="TRUE"

Or else if you want to make change only in that VM level,

Coneect to that host using VIClient.

Right click the VM

Edit Settings->Options->CPU/MMU virtualisation-Change to Automatic

This feature is enabled for nested VM operation.If you are not going for nested operation,its better to disable it.

Regards,

SatyS

If you find this useful,mark the answer as correct/helpful

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

One simple method could be to set the answer to TRUE at any questions by adding:

msg.autoanswer = "TRUE" in the vmx file

0 Kudos
Lopert2h
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@SatyS no, I've already had vhv.enable and it's no helping...

@zXi_Gamer ok, now I've got no confirmation but an "Unknown error". Changing to sortware nor automatic doesn't help anyway

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No..you have to remove vhv.enable.

Did you try this?

SatyS

Regards,
SatyS

Lopert2h
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh, sorry - removing was the solution. Thanks you all Smiley Happy\

Best regards,

Maciej

0 Kudos
therealgreg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey guys. I don't think this question was properly answered. I say that because I am in the same boat and am constantly being asked "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is incompatible with this virtual machine configuration. Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT?", and I have to select Yes in order to boot my vCenter appliance.

SatyS's reply to remove vhv.enable is not an option for me because I am successfully running nested ESXi for lab purposes. The only annoyance here is that when I reboot ESXi, and I forget to login via vSphere client to select yes, my vCenter Appliance never boots up.

So back to the original question... is there a way to configure the .vmx file so that it not only auto answers, but auto answers with a "yes"?

So in addition to adding msg.autoanswer = "TRUE" to the .vmx file, here's what I've tried in the .vmx file with no success:

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion = "0"

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion = "Yes"

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion = "_Yes"

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion = "TRUE"

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion reply = 0

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion reply = "0"

So far none of these options seem to auto answer with yes. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Greg

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi

Can you try with

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion reply=1

N.B:There is no space between equal sign and number.Kernel can misinterpret if there is an extra space.

I think this is causing problem for you.

-SatyS

Regards,
SatyS

0 Kudos
therealgreg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. So I tried what you suggested and it didn't work. And just so you know, according to the vmware.log file, the value "...=1" is the default, which is the same as "No". So I assume "Yes" must be "...=0".

More specifically, here's what I tried followed by the results...

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion reply=0 or msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion reply = 0 or anything including reply results in ESXi not recognizing the .vmx file anymore.

msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion=0 or msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion="0" or msg.cpuid.noVHVQuestion = "0" results in error when starting VM - "Failed to start the virtual machine"

0 Kudos
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As you are in a nested environment ,I understand that you cant remove vhv.enable option.So better try this one.

Connect to that host using VIClient.

Right click the VM

Edit Settings->Options->CPU/MMU virtualisation-Change to Automatic

This feature is enabled for nested VM operation.

-SatyS

Regards,
SatyS

0 Kudos
peevs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I had the same problem with a VM hardware version 7 on ESX 5.1 host (which has vhv.allow = TRUE). When I changed VM's hardware version to 9 the problem disappear, so I didn't have to remove vhv.allow. So, try to upgrade VM's HW version if it's not the latest supported.

therealgreg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, peevs!! I used VMWare Converter to clone my vCenter Appliance and changed the Hardware Version from 7 to 8 and the problem went away. Hooray!! No more babysitting ESXi host restarts.

Ahmed_Morgan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nice workaround , finally I got solution for this issue , but I made it easy by upgrade HW Version from vCenter Web Client

Thank for all

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Settings in /etc/vmware/config are applied to all VMs.  If you've added "vhv.enable = TRUE" to /etc/vmware/config, then you are requesting virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization for all VMs.  That's probably not what you want, particularly since virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization is not compatible with all VM configurations.

The "vhv.enable = TRUE" setting is intended for per-VM usage.  It is added to a VM configuration file when you check the box next to "Expose hardware-assisted virtualization to the guest operating system" on the processor settings tab in the web UI.  If you prefer to edit your configuration files manually, you should add this setting to individual VM configuration files, not to /etc/vmware/config.

Note that this setting is quite different from "vhv.allow = TRUE", which was a system-wide setting under ESXi 5.0 that permitted the use of virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization (which was an unsupported feature in ESXi 5.0).  Beginning with ESXi 5.1, the "vhv.allow = TRUE" option is no longer necessary, since the feature is supported (in limited configurations).

0 Kudos