VMware Cloud Community
johnabraham
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Configuring iSCSI storage with 4MB block size.

Hi friends

I have a requirement of changing the iSCSI storage to 4 MB block size. I searched all over the ESXi5.1 for the block size changing. but i found nowhere. the default is 1MB block size i believe. can anyone tell me how to set the block size to 4MB?

thank!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

I'm a bit curious about this 4MB block size requirement... what's the reason for this?

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

I can't think of any good reason to do this (and wouldn't recommend it), but if you had to satisfy this requirement of a 4MB block size you could probably create a VMFS3 volume and then upgrade it to VMFS5 to retain the 4MB block size. New VMFS5 volumes use a unified 1MB block size.

Take note of the limitations;

VMware KB: Block size limitations of a VMFS datastore

Cheers,

Jon

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You no longer set block size in ESXi 5 so by default you can have files that are 2 TB -512 B. If this VMFS datastore was upgrated form VMFS3 to VMFS5 than the block that set when it was created will still limt the size of the files it can house you will need to recreate the VMFS datastore as VMFS5

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos