VMware Cloud Community
zoran4afc
Contributor
Contributor

Another "Vsphere 5 Enhancement": resource pools removed from ESXi

So, if you don't wan't to buy vCenter, you will not have resource pools any more.

I qoute:

Enhancement

All resource pool settings are moved to VMware vCenter Server.

Reason

An auto deployed VMware ESXi host cannot contain configuration settings or resource pool configuration.

Benefit

The movement of settings to vCenter Server allows:

- Auto deployed ESXi hosts to use resource pools

end of qoute

BTW, you have to buy Enterprise+ licence to be able to use Auto deploy feature.

Regarding the "Reason": Even an auto deployed ESXi have at least unique management IP address. IP address is a configuration setting.

A standard switch (vSS) is also configuration setting. I didn't try, maybe someone is: can you configure a standard switch in an autodeployed ESXi?

If you can't, why should you can configure vSS in non-autodeployed ESXi?

Maybe we can expect in some future licensing scheme that a standard switch will be moved to vCenter also.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Could you tell us some more about your usecase so we can take this into consideration for future releases / licensing?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Don't know where these quotes came from and I don't get them... but anyway a Standard vSwitch works fine with auto-deploy. Auto-Deploy relies on host profiles to configure the ESXi hosts. So all settings you would normally set locally will be done via a host profile.

0 Kudos
roydfreeman
Expert
Expert

This isn't true. Resource pools can *still* be configured at the host level. My understanding is that in vSphere 4, if you created host-based resource pools, their configuration was stored only on the host. In vSphere 5, the resource pool definition will be stored in the vCenter Server DB, but each host will still store the config too, just as standard switch definitions are pushed to the host.  Hosts must still be able to boot independently if the vCenter Server is unavailable, so these settings will be pushed to and stored locally on the hosts in vSphere 5.  And for auto-deployed hosts, the info needs to be stored in the vCenter Server DB, so that the host can be delivered its config on each reboot.  So my understanding is that both host-based and cluster-based resource pools still exist in 5.0.

0 Kudos