VMware Cloud Community
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding 3.5 host to a vSphere cluster

Hey all!

This is my first upgrade to 4.1, so bare with me!

I have a question on bringing a 3.5 host with powered on VM's into a vSphere cluster.  I have migrated 2 out of my 3 hosts to 4.1 and have them in my new Cluster (Networking and Storage is setup and ready to go).  My older cluster still has the last host, running all the VMs.  I cannot take these VM's down, so I need a way to bring this host into the new cluster, and vMotion these VMs to the new 4.1 hosts.  All VM's VMDK files are on a iSCSI SAN and both virtual centers can see this SAN.  I have tried converter on one of the VM's, however it's asking me to create a new datastore, not allowing me to use the current datastore.

Now, my question is... if I disconnect the 3.5 host, can I connect to it from vCenter and add it into the new cluster without causing any problems to the VM's?  I know I can put it in maintenance and remove it, however that will take down my VM's.  Yes, I have all my licensing setup and the 4.1 server is ready to host the 3.5 server, until I move the VM's off of it.

Thanks for the help!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Maximenu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Perfect..then you can manage the last esx from your new VC 4.1 and migrate step by step each vm.

Javier Galvez

Customer Success Compute and Cloud

Joined the VMTN Community in Dic, 2004

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Maximenu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello Orion

Don´t worry Virtualcenter 4 can manage an ESX 3.5 host. Add your ESX 3.5 to your new cluster with ESX 4 without problems. Move the VM´s with vmotion to the new ESX4 servers, update the virtual hardware and update the VMware tools (need restart)

Have fun Smiley Happy

Javier

Javier Galvez

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Javier,

Thanks for the quick response!!

Ok, awesome!  So, I can just "disconnect" this host from the 2.5 VC, and then add the host directly to the new vCenter cluster, without issues?

-Chris

0 Kudos
Maximenu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Exactly ! An VC 4.1 can manage ESX4, ESX3.5 etc.

One question? The new ESX4 servers have access to the iSCSI LUNs? If you want migrate the VMs of storage...the ESX servers need connect to the old storage and the new storage at the same time.

Javier Galvez

0 Kudos
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Javier,

Awesome!  Yes, Sir!  All hosts/clusters can see the iSCSI SAN that I have and can see all the LUNs that are storing the vmdk files.

0 Kudos
Maximenu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Perfect..then you can manage the last esx from your new VC 4.1 and migrate step by step each vm.

Javier Galvez

0 Kudos
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, Sir!  I'm hoping so, starting now!  I'll let you know in a little bit how it went

Thanks again!

-Chris

0 Kudos
Orion627
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Worked like a champ!!! Thanks again, man!!

0 Kudos
Maximenu
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

hehehe perfect....one coke for me !!

Javier Galvez

0 Kudos