VMware Cloud Community
kzhabko
Contributor
Contributor

Add datastore to VM

Hello.

I have ESXI 7.0 Update 3 and many SSD and HDD disks in Storage menu. I need to create VM on the SSD and then attach HDD disk.

Screenshot from 2023-07-12 17-36-46.png

So, I created a VM with the name "JNK" in the "webservices" SSD datastorage. and now I need to add HDD. In this case total HDD storage is 3TB, but I need to add 1TB for this VM. I see 2.59TB is free, but I do not see, how to extend or add part of HDD storage with name "datastore1"

I try to edit my VM, add "existing hard disk" but in the datastorage window, the button "save" is gray and I can't save selected folder. I even created empty folder with name "Jenkins" to think that inside of this folder will be created new datastorage data.

Screenshot from 2023-07-12 17-45-38.png

add existing hard drive

Screenshot from 2023-07-12 17-45-52.png

can't save result

How to add part (1 TB) of existing datastorage to existing VM?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BivasM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what you can do is add the 1 tb required disk as thin. it will go to the default folder. browse and find that disk. shut down the vm.

remove that disk from vm settings (but do not choose delete from datastore). next select that disk move it to the desired datastore.

(copy to --- oprtion). later from vm settings add disk (this time choose "add existing disk") ... and show the 1 tb disk in datastore 1

kzhabko
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, BivasM.

I check the "Thin provisioned" type of disk and it make the ability to save settings. After rebooting Ubuntu this disk appears and I formatted it. Your suggestion was helpful to me.

Screenshot from 2023-07-13 10-58-43.pngScreenshot from 2023-07-13 11-00-20.png

The topic can be marked as solved!

BivasM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thats good to know. this situation is much easier with vcenter. where you can just use storage vmotion to resolve it

kzhabko
Contributor
Contributor

I use free ESXI so I do not have access to vCenter or vMotion. But thank you for the suggestion!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos