VMware Cloud Community
Rayo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Access to resource settings on the host is restricted to the server 'x.x.x.x' which is managing it.

Attempting to create a new vm on an ESXi 5 host using vSphere API produces the following error:

"Access to resource settings on the host is restricted to the server 'x.x.x.x' which is managing it."

This does not occur with earlier ESX/ESXi versions.

What exactly does it mean?  Any pointers?

Tags (1)
23 Replies
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Rayo wrote:

Attempting to create a new vm on an ESXi 5 host using vSphere API produces the following error:

"Access to resource settings on the host is restricted to the server 'x.x.x.x' which is managing it."

This does not occur with earlier ESX/ESXi versions.

What exactly does it mean?  Any pointers?

Is "x.x.x.x" a specfic server? The ESXi host itself? A vCenter box? The box you last used to manage it?

0 Kudos
Rayo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

x.x.x.x is the IP address of the vCenter server managing the host.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using lockdown more? Why you do not connect the script to vCenter Server?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Rayo201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Not using lockdown mode.

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am getting the same error as well with the VMware standalone Converter.. I'll try and detach the ESXi 5.0 host from VC and see what happens then.. 

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I pulled the ESXI host from the Virtual Center and it's still giving me the same error.. 

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I rolled back to the Vmware Converter 4.0.3 and no go there either.. So I called VMware and logged a SR.. They have no reports of this issue.. So I've asked to get this escalated to Engineer i have a feeling there is a bug.. 

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Would it be a  multi-vCPU VM that you're trying to import?  One of the guys in the beta had a similar issue.  I've sent him a PM to see what the end result was as he was going to log a ticket with support.

0 Kudos
jackjack2
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone found a solution to this?  I have a vm on an esxi 5 host I'm trying to edit the scsi controller properties on, and my attempt at changing the controller type fails with the "access to resource settings on the host is restricted" message.

Yes, I can do this on the vcenter appliance instead at the moment, but what if at some point in the future my vcenter crashes and burns, and I have to temporarily manage my virtual datacenter directly from the individual hosts?  It looks like the ability to do that has been blocked, what is the override?

0 Kudos
rlund
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In that case you need to dis associate the host from vcenter.

Roger lund

Roger Lund Minnesota VMUG leader Blogger VMware and IT Evangelist My Blog: http://itblog.rogerlund.net & http://www.vbrainstorm.com
0 Kudos
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have a similar problem by reconfiguring VM's over Power-Shell and have found a solution for this:

When we directly connect to the ESX-host we get the same error message:

So we connect with Connect-VIServer to the Virtual Center Server V5.0.0 with Power CLI V5.0.

The syntax in the Power Shell Script with Virtual Center V4.1.0 was:

get-vm -server 'hostname'

now with Virtual Center Server V5.0.0 we changed this to:

Get-VMHost | where-object {$_.Name -eq "hostname with fully qualified domain name"} | get-vm

After this we can use the get-vm Objects as it was before in V4.1.0.

Maybe this will help you.

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've try to dis associate the host from vcenter and that does not work..  This is a brutal issue.

0 Kudos
jslarouche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We shouldnt have to do this workaround.. VMware needs to come up with a proper fix with it's converter software.. We once had the capabilites to do this with 3.5 and 40 servers and now with 5.0 we are not.. What gives?

0 Kudos
Ollfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a similar problem, could not extend a disk in a vm running on an esx whose vcenter was gone.

I edited /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg and deleted everything between <vpxa> and </vpxa> - including these two lines. A quick /sbin/services restart afterwards and esx has forgotten its managing vcenter.

0 Kudos
Xian78
Contributor
Contributor

If you want completely to stop using vCenter Server green and blue

If the disconnect is temporary just the blue (after you close any vSphere client connection to vCenter Server)

right click each host and choose remove

once removed go ahead and remove datacenter

shut down your vCenter Server (I never delete until everything has disassociated properly)

In the bottom right corner you should see host management

Select disassociate from vCenter

That should take care of it.

0 Kudos
taufiquemulani
Contributor
Contributor

Resolution to this issue : Guys, this is a limitation / Bug in the version of Converter we are using. In my  infrastructure we had converter 4.0.1 and 4.3 installed on two separate boxes. With converter 4.0.1 and even with 5.0 I was unable to speficy ESX host as destination host for P2V converted machine. and I had exact same error.

"The access to the host resource settings is restricted to the server xx.xx.xx.xx (VC IP) that is managing the host. use the management server as destination"

But with 4.3 yes, we can do so.

Final resolution : Uninstall all other versions of VMware converter Standalone and install version 4.3.0 build 292238 & everything should work smooth.

You can download it from here : https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/p/activate.php?p=converter

Toufique

Message was edited by: Tom Howarth Editted to remove the religious text.

0 Kudos
RonenTan
Contributor
Contributor

The following technote holds the answer:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2021618

0 Kudos
PedroPecci
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Xian, it works perfetc for me with these lines:

"log in to each host you just removed from vCenter

In the bottom right corner you should see host management

Select disassociate from vCenter"

I´ve done all the rest, but not this

you really make my day!!

Rgds

UnderCoverGuy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When an ESXi host in version 5.x or higher is managed by a virtual center it's management capabilities are limited to prevent damage to the virtual machines. One scenario which can become a big deal is however if your vCenter Server runs out of storage, which means you can not extend the storage that easily.

If you are really sure that you want to override this behavior here are the necessary steps, this will ensure you can later easily reconnect to the vCenter Server:

• Open the ESXi host via the vSphere client
  • In the lower right corner of the Inventory use the "Disassociate host from vCenter Server..." function to disconnect the host from the vCenter
  • Do whatever needs to be done (i.e. expand the disk on your vCenter Server)
  • Reconnect your vSphere Client with your vCenter Server
  • Reconnect the host into the cluster

Please ensure to NOT remove the ESXi host from your cluster inside the vCenter Server, as then the resetup might be more complicated.

This process shall normally ensure that all setups like Distributed Switches, Storage Cluster etc. work as designed.

Thanks to (http://www.comdivision.com/kb/vsphere-access-resource-settings-host-restricted-server-xxxx-which-man...)