VMware Cloud Community
gbras
Contributor
Contributor

APC Powerchute NS not shutting down ESXi 4.1 (essentials)

Hi,

I've 2 physical hosts and I'm starting to migrate them to ESXi 4.1 essentials edition.

I'm not using vCenter server.

This morning I performed a clean install on the first one, entered license code, installed vMA and installed apc pcns 224 (Powerchute network shutdown) using the attached instructions (I have a smart ups 2000VA with a configured Network management card)

pcns does not shut down the ESXi host and the vms on it (which are configured according to apc instructions).

I configured pcns, I added the server to vMA as target server (vifp addserver server.ip.addr), I set vfp target (vifptarget -s server.ip.addr) and I rebooted vMA several times.

I re-installed vMA and pcns 224 double checking everything.

I'm struggling with this issue since this morning and I read tons of blogs/discussions: the guy that opened this one

had the same problems I'm having, but he was using the free esxi, while I'm using a licensed version (essentials).

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Guido

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I had a look at the document and it shows as being for ESXi 4.0 not 4.1. There are differences. Same with vMA. If you are using vMA 4.1 there are again differences from the 4.0 version. I am not saying that this is the cause but . . . I would check with APC support to make sure the software is suitable for ESXi 4.1 and vMA 4.1.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
gbras
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will.

By the way what software/technique are you guys using to reliably and gracefully shutdown a licensed ESXi 4.1 physical host connected to an apc smart ups with network management card?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at these. Remember that the vMA is a virtual machine and a script run from it means it must be last to go down.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-9531

http://www.techhead.co.uk/how-to-automatically-shut-down-vmware-esxi-gracefully-during-power-failure...

gbras
Contributor
Contributor

nevermind, switched to ESX 4.1

Inside COS, Powerchute works like a charm

Our ESXi transition will wait next year, when its 3rd party ecosystem will be more mature (now flaky ups management, no backup support from phdvirtual, etc)

Thanks to all of you guys

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Glad you are up and going.

0 Kudos