VMware Cloud Community
Picche
Contributor
Contributor

8 core CPU / Essential Plus

Hi,

can i use Vmware Essential Plus Licenze on Server with 8 Core CPU ?

thanks too much.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

If there are 8 cores per CPU, no. Only six cores are entitled. Advanced and Enterprise Plus can run on up to 12 cores.

Maybe you can install it, but you should only be able to use 6 of 8 cores then.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
Picche
Contributor
Contributor

thanks too much, i can install it but vmware use only 6 core , is right ?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I'll never tried it, but either it won't install or it will use only 6 cores per CPU.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Picche
Contributor
Contributor

I'm buying n.3 HP DL 385 Server G7 (AMD 8-core) are you sure not be any surprises to use this CPU with Essential Plus?

vmware will only use six of the eight cores available?

0 Kudos
JoeTowner
Contributor
Contributor

I'm digging for the same question, but seem to have a better handle on part of the answer.  Per the VMware licensing, you get 6 cores per cpu license.  So if you have 1 cpu but 8/12 cores, it should take up 2 cpu licenses.  See http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/multicore.html

Now the issue or question I have is if I have 2x 8 core cpu's, is it going to cost me 3 cpu licenses or 4 cpu licenses.  I would expect that 3 (2 for the sockets, 1 to cover the 4 unclaimed cores) would be how it is, but knowing licensing, it most likely will cost 4 (2 for the sockets, 2 to cover the extra 2 cores per socket).

I'd like to see them go from 6 to 8 cores per cpu for the simple issue that AMD doesn't have much out in the 4100 lineup, so the 6100 lineup is the baseblock of most servers (and at 8 cores a shot).

I'm also wondering how the licensing registers if you run 3.5.5 instead - does it do the same calculation / license bits?

Picche
Contributor
Contributor

using vmware essential PLUS with AMD 8CORE, I need two licenses for each CPU.

3 Server with 1 8-core CPU, use all available licenses right?

0 Kudos
JoeTowner
Contributor
Contributor

Yep - but you should consider the 12 core ones if possible - you're already loosing the license.

0 Kudos
JoeTowner
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried it now - it costs 2 licenses per socket for me - so either Essentials or Standard, 2 AMD 6100 8-core processors cost 4 sockets.

I'm not thrilled.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know that you can combine Essentials licenses.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
cbjkicksave
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an older post, but I just ran into this myself with an 8 core G7 DL385.  I was able to change it to a 6 core proc in the bios and it worked fine.  Originally VMware saw them all as 8 core so Essentials Plus couldn't license all 3 servers, it was showing 8 procs for just 2 servers.

0 Kudos