VMware Cloud Community
Reefcrazed
Contributor
Contributor

2003 Server guest, slow reads but very fast writes

I just purchased 8 2tb Samsung drives to replace my 1.5 western digital drives. Write back cache is turned on the Perc array with battery hooked up, the drives are in a raid 5 on the controller. I made 2tb slices in the array and made 2tb datastores with max file units for 2tb files. So I assign the 2003 server multiple 2tb datastores and join the drives together with raid 0 within 2003 server. The writes are just as fast if not faster than my 1.5tb drives. But the reads went down to 10 mb/s. The writes are a nice 70+mb/s. I have no idea what is going on here. At first I thought it could be the new advanced formatting but the controller kind of eliminates that correct ? My other perc 5 card has 8 250gb WD RE drives and I get 500 mb/s reads on a raid 10 on the exact same 2003 server guest. Any ideas because something is just not jiving.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Reefcrazed
Contributor
Contributor

I also want to say that the ntfs separate partitions are spanned together, not striped.

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

drives are in a raid 5 on the controller. I made 2tb slices in the array and made 2tb datastores with max file units for 2tb files. So I assign the 2003 server multiple 2tb datastores and join the drives together with raid 0 within 2003 server

that the ntfs separate partitions are spanned together, not striped

Can you clarify the actual configuration, since the two posts appear contradictory.

http://blog.peacon.co.uk

Please award points to any useful answer.

Unofficial List of USB Passthrough Working Devices

0 Kudos