VMware Horizon Community
Thaulow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UTF-8 Characters changes under deployment using "registry settings" option in UEM

Hi,

We are experiencing that using UEM, the UTF-8 characters in a new "registry setting" change upon deployment.

An example is here.

Using UEM we want to deploy this registry setting to our users:

pastedImage_1.png

As seen below, the letter "Æ" gets messed up and changes to "æ" when UEM is .

pastedImage_2.png

Is there a way to enable the support for nordic letters/ UTF-8 or what can be done?

Regards

Victor

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Thaulow,

As ijdemes​ already suggested, this is a character encoding issue – the 'Æ' character is UTF-8-encoded to two bytes, which are then interpreted as the individual Latin-1 character 'Ã' and another character (with code point 0x86) that does not exist in Latin-1.

If you create a Registry Settings configuration file, and pick "Use empty .REG file..." in the Create drop button, that .REG file is in Unicode (little endian) format, and supports non-ASCII characters just fine.

Did you maybe pick the "Import .REG file..." option? Can you share the underlying zip file so I can take a look?

BTW, I just tested creating a setting from scratch, using the "empty .REG file" approach, and that worked as expected:

pastedImage_5.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ijdemes
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Thaulow​,

Did you try saving the .REG file with UTF-8 encoding and then apply it for the users?

pastedImage_0.png

\\ Ivan
---
Twitter: @ivandemes
Blog: https://www.ivandemes.com
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Thaulow,

As ijdemes​ already suggested, this is a character encoding issue – the 'Æ' character is UTF-8-encoded to two bytes, which are then interpreted as the individual Latin-1 character 'Ã' and another character (with code point 0x86) that does not exist in Latin-1.

If you create a Registry Settings configuration file, and pick "Use empty .REG file..." in the Create drop button, that .REG file is in Unicode (little endian) format, and supports non-ASCII characters just fine.

Did you maybe pick the "Import .REG file..." option? Can you share the underlying zip file so I can take a look?

BTW, I just tested creating a setting from scratch, using the "empty .REG file" approach, and that worked as expected:

pastedImage_5.png