VMware Horizon Community
MatthewDay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UEM Folder Redirection Not Working

Hello Everyone,

I have a Horizon 7 infrastructure running Windows 10 desktops and I'm trying to use folder redirection using UEM 9.2. I'm fairly certain the permission on the shares are correct as the users can browse to and create items in the UEMProfiles share. Also, when the user logs in for the first time, the Desktop, Documents, Favorites, and Appdata folders get created but remain empty. On the workstation side, the location of Desktop, My Documents, Favorites, etc, all are unchanged and point to the default C: directory.

When I check out the UEM logs for that user, I see these messages:

2017-06-30 14:48:11.058 [ERROR] Error 0x80070005 redirecting 'AppData' folder to '\\Server1\UEMProfiles\%Username%\AppData' ('Desktop Items.xml')

2017-06-30 14:48:11.058 [ERROR] Error 0x80070005 redirecting 'Desktop' folder to '\\Server1\UEMProfiles\%Username%\Desktop' ('Desktop Items.xml')

2017-06-30 14:48:11.074 [ERROR] Error 0x80070005 redirecting 'Documents' folder to '\\Server1\UEMProfiles\%Username%\Documents' ('Desktop Items.xml')

2017-06-30 14:48:11.074 [ERROR] Error 0x80070005 redirecting 'Favorites' folder to '\\Server1\UEMProfiles\%Username%\Favorites' ('Desktop Items.xml')

2017-06-30 14:48:11.074 [ERROR] Error 0x80070005 redirecting 'Pictures' folder to '\\Server1\UEMProfiles\%Username%\Pictures' ('Desktop Items.xml')

My Google-foo has failed me on this particular problem so I'm hoping someone has run into this issue and resolved it.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi MatthewDay​,

That Error 0x80070005 redirecting... message can be caused by a Windows Group Policy setting that disallows folder redirection (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop - Prohibit User from manually redirecting Profile Folders).

Can you check whether that policy setting is enabled? Either by checking your GPOs, or checking whether HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer contains a DisablePersonalDirChange value set to 1?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
liorshe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello ,

for the folders -  Desktop, Documents, Favorites, and Appdata -

You need to add a five REG KEYS in the base image or add with UEM to users.

I add this REG KEY to users with UEM  - I made these changes In one user , I export the reg key and add them to Uem And finally i applied them to all users who work with Windows 10.

Go to -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShell Folders

Add this reg keys as "expandable string variable" -

Downloads -
{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}                         
-   

Desktop -
{754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5}

Documents -
{F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756}

Pictures - {0DDD015D-B06C-45D5-8C4C-F59713854639}

Music -
{A0C69A99-21C8-4671-8703-7934162FCF1D}

Videos -
{35286A68-3C57-41A1-BBB1-0EAE73D76C95}

Downloads-
{7D83EE9B-2244-4E70-B1F5-5393042AF1E4}

in the value data insert the path of
your folder redirection and the name of folder example-

\\servername\folderredirecion\%username%\Desktop

96266_96266.pngpastedImage_0.png

If you follow the steps correctly you will finally see one folder (not duplicates folder) in "User Files"  that points to yours folder redirect path.

if you do this in your base image after you finish you need to do recompose.

This happens because of the tool  that you runs "VMware OS Optimization Tool" on yours Golden Images.

I Open a Case , but unfortunately, although they said that the problem was solve, it did not.

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-os-optimization-tool/bugs/418#bug_comment_1372

about the uem logs error I think this is something in the permissions of the shared folder - Check the special permissions.

Hope I helped.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

from my UEM 9.1 experience, folder redirection will work partially, I fixed it using windows redirection 'GPO'

But I know they fixed this issue in UEM 9.2

UEMdev​, can you please advice on this problem?

Thank you,

Vkmr.

ArnoM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In UEM 9.2 the following is fixed for Folder Redirection:

Resolved Issues

The following issues are resolved in the VMware User Environment Manager 9.2 release:

• Duplicate folders might appear after enabling Folder Redirection.

When you enable folder redirection feature through User Environment Manager, duplicate folders are observed in the user profile. One of the folders points to the redirected location and the other is on the local hard drive.

The issue is resolved in this release.

See: VMware User Environment Manager Release Notes

Blog: https://arnomeijroos.com/ Twitter: @ACMeijroos
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi MatthewDay​,

That Error 0x80070005 redirecting... message can be caused by a Windows Group Policy setting that disallows folder redirection (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop - Prohibit User from manually redirecting Profile Folders).

Can you check whether that policy setting is enabled? Either by checking your GPOs, or checking whether HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer contains a DisablePersonalDirChange value set to 1?

dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi liorshe,

I am using UEM 9.2 and your suggestion was very helpful but I'm still seeing some weird stuff. For example with quick access, only downloads is redirected and on my end I setup everything to be directed in UEM. Under This PC, everything but desktop is redirected. For me that's progress because the folders under this PC besides Desktop is redirected to a server. Were you able to get the Quick links and the folders under this PC to redirect to your server? Thanks again!

0 Kudos
liorshe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi dbrutus ,

first, Go through again and see that you have not missed anything.

the User Must to be local administrator on the vm's.

try to add also  this REG KEY with UEM to your Vm's -

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum]

"{DFFACDC5-679F-4156-8947-C5C76BC0B67F}"=dword:00000001

It should solve the problem.

Let me know if it helped

0 Kudos
MatthewDay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi UEMdev

That was the issue! I ran an rsop on that user and browsed to that config setting. Sure enough, it was enabled. I disabled it in the gpo, and after a fresh logon, the desktop was now redirecting to the UEM share.

The down side is that only the Desktop and Appdata folders are redirecting properly. My Documents, Pictures, and Favorites don't recognize the folder redirection. I see that this appears to be a common issue with UEM and most have reverted to using GP redirection to account for these.

Thanks for your help!

dbrutus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, liorshe

Thank you again for helping me out with this. I think I'm almost there. I'm trying to find out why exactly the registry applies sometime and doesn't apply other time. Should I Apply settings before Profile Archive import or after profile archive import? Do I need to check Run once in either scenario? I see that it works without the extra registry key you previously suggested that to add.

0 Kudos
liorshe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi dbrutus ,

1. Apply settings after profile archive import.

2. Not to "Run once".

0 Kudos