VMware Horizon Community
JonAmadori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issue with Office 2013 unable to verify licensing

I am using floating desktops that refresh at logoff with UEM 9.1, AppVolumes 2.12 using both app stacks as well as appwritable volumes.  Office 2013 x64 professional is installed in my base image and licensed via KMS.  We are utilizing the UEM profiles for office 2013 which I believe I downloaded from this site and I have added several exclusions to my snapvol.cfg file to try and prevent anything in C:\Program files\Microsoft office from being captured.

Generally my users are able to use office without a problem, however I have had about 10-15% of my users log into their desktops to find when they launch any Microsoft Office product they receive the following error message:

Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel.

The only fix that I have been able to find for the users is to delete their AppWritable volume.  I am hoping that someone here might be able to help me find a more permanent solution as a few of my users are on their 4th or 5th time deleting the AppWritable volume.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonAmadori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To come back to this issue, I made a mistake when uploading a new snapvol.cfg file and had it nested in a folder when I zipped it up and uploaded it to the App Vol Manager.  Since the cfg file was nested it was not being processed and the App Writable Volume was backing up Office licensing information I though was excluded.

After correcting that mistake, I have not had another user complain about Office being unable to verify its license.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis
Jump to solution

I've heard this before with customers using Writable Volumes and Office.

What Writable Volume template do you use? User Installed Apps (UIA only) or UIA+Profile?

This will probably work better in App Volumes 2.12. Have you already considered upgrading?

0 Kudos
JonAmadori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pim,

Yes we just upgraded App Volumes Manager to 2.12 over the weekend but I am still having users report the issue.  I am still using the same writable template and snapvol.cfg from before the update (version 2.11). 

We are currently using the UIA template which has been modified to allow for 30GB volumes instead of the default size.

0 Kudos
JonAmadori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To come back to this issue, I made a mistake when uploading a new snapvol.cfg file and had it nested in a folder when I zipped it up and uploaded it to the App Vol Manager.  Since the cfg file was nested it was not being processed and the App Writable Volume was backing up Office licensing information I though was excluded.

After correcting that mistake, I have not had another user complain about Office being unable to verify its license.

0 Kudos
gpenunuri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What exclusions did you use?  I am having the same problem and excluding the \Program Files\Microsoft Office folder doesn't work. 

0 Kudos
JonAmadori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This I what I exclude for Office 2013:

#Microsoft Office

exclude_path=\Program Files\microsoft office\office15

exclude_path=\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\officesoftwareprotectionplatform