VMware Horizon Community
Schmad7
Contributor
Contributor

Default Printer Changing at Random

We have a few users whose default printer continues to change at random and I'm looking for some guidance. We're running Instant-Clones w/ Windows 10 21H2. We're mapping users printers entirely with DEM and we've looked into selecting 'default printer' on the DEM Management Console, but in this case, we aren't able to select this for all users in the security group as they're dispersed over the building. We're collecting these settings related to printers

#########################################################

[SpecialSettings]
DefaultPrinter

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\Printers
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\UserSelectedDefault\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device

##############################################################

For example, in the flexengine log file attached, on 1/16/23 the printers are attached and the default printer is \\print-01\ELS-2235 but on logout the default is copy-room-265. The user has assured me that they did not change this themselves and I'm curious about the line '2023-01-16 16:36:15.009 [DEBUG] VMware Integrated Printing does not support required logic for default printer management'. 

Is this causing a conflict and do we need to disable something via GP? we are not using Integrated Printing through the Horizon Agent on any of our pools. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JordyVL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Schmad7,

We fixed this by using a Horizon Smart policy within VMware DEM disabling VMware Integrated printing. But only for users which are working internally, but if you want in in your entire environment you should try that in a test environment and then migrate it to Production if it works for you.

Hope this helps 🙂

Kind regards,

Jordy

0 Kudos
TheSica
Contributor
Contributor

Under the User Configuration ADMX policies you can configure the admx policy for the VMware View Agent Configuration -> VMware Integrated Printing setting Do not change default printer - Enabled.  I believe this will assist your situation.

Set Conditions as you would like to see them applied.

JGerace
Contributor
Contributor

This solved an issue we were experiencing.  Our printers are mapped via Windows GPO, DEM was correctly saving and attempting to re-apply the users selected default printer (verified in flexengine.log).  Some were experiencing their default printer still getting reset to "Adobe PDF" or whatever was at the top of the list.  Enabling this GPO setting has corrected the problem and selected default printers are being applied correctly across the board on logon. Thank you! 

0 Kudos