VMware Horizon Community
narflouise
Contributor
Contributor

DEM is causing Applications on virtual desktops to take up to 10 minutes to launch.

Hello. I setup my company's new Windows 11 pools a few months ago. We had a VMWare instructor guide me through the creation and everything start to finish. We went from using Profile Unity to using DEM. DEM took a lot longer to load into the desktop than profile unity which was okay at the time but since then it has gotten slower and slower. Some users have reported it sitting on "Waiting for DEM Service" for up to 12 minutes and then applications take another 5 minutes to open once they are in. I have had this happen to me as well. This was after I ran the OS optimization tool on the pools. I had to roll it back to the previous snapshot. But normally it is about 4-5 minutes to load DEMs and most applications take an extremely long time to load. Outlook for instance takes 3 minutes to load 3 addons. 

Is there a feature I should have turned off? Any recommendations? I did have logging on Debug in the GPO settings and changed it to Error but that did not help load times at all. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What kind of storage is your VM's and DEM share on?

0 Kudos
narflouise
Contributor
Contributor

We use PURE Storage flash memory. 

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm no expert, but DEM shouldn't be taking anywhere close to this kind of time.

How big are the user profiles?

Have you enabled Debug logs to see why it's taking that long?

Enabling debug logging for a single user in VMware Dynamic Environment Manager (2113514)

0 Kudos
narflouise
Contributor
Contributor

I did look through the debug logs but I can't make sense of them. I cannot see any processes that are taking a long time. I can turn on debug again and post the log here. 

0 Kudos
narflouise
Contributor
Contributor

These are the logs for a user that logs on every day. 

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @narflouise,

The FlexEngine.log you attached contains eight logons, and DEM's processing took less than five seconds for all of those. If you have a log file for a user suffering from those long logon delays, I'd love to take a look.

0 Kudos
almostIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When this has happened to me: 

1. Make sure the shares for DEM are online and available and there is not a latency issue. 

2. Make sure there are no tasks set that require a share to be present before execution (in other words, a task that doesn't have a timeout value and runs for a long time). I've done this by accident several times. 

3. HUGE profile sizes - especially if you're importing and exporting at logon only, can take a long time. 

4. Make sure you're not doing complete folder redirection for user profiles - it is not recommended. Use App Volumes instead. 

0 Kudos