VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vCenter Converter 4.1- Using an Acronis True Image 9.1 image file, getting error

I posted this question in the wrong forum.....I think. So I will post it here where I think is appropriate.....

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1662417#1662417

I am getting the error...

"The source virtual machine is not recognized"

I  am using vCenter 4.1 Standalone on a helper VM. I am using Acronis True  Image 9.1 to create the backup image and it reports the image was  created sucessfully. I rebooted the server and created a new image and I  get the same thing. I created another image NOT using volume shadow  copy and same thing. I created another image WITH volume shadow copy and  same thing.

For a sanity check I created another image from  another SQL server and it works fine. For some reason this particular  SQL server keeps giving me the same error.

The  SQL server I am backing up is a physical HP DL380 G3 and the ESX  infrastructure is ESX 3.5 U5 if that means anything.....lol Smiley Happy

Any ideas?

EDIT:

FYI, the HP DL 380 SQL server is running Windows 2003 Server x32 SP2

UPDATE:

I just upgraded to vCenter Converter 4.3 and now I get the following error message....

"The source parameters are invalid"

So I did a different sanity check and tried to restore using Acronis and Acronis reads the .tib file with no problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

restore the tib to a newly created VM the same way you would do it with a real computer.
Boot Acronis-CD and load the tib from network..

When creating the new VM make sure yoy use buslogic scsi-controller.

scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"

When done run Converter against the newly created VM - specify the vmx-file and use "configure machine" option of the Converter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

restore the tib to a newly created VM the same way you would do it with a real computer.
Boot Acronis-CD and load the tib from network..

When creating the new VM make sure yoy use buslogic scsi-controller.

scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"

When done run Converter against the newly created VM - specify the vmx-file and use "configure machine" option of the Converter

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK, I get it. That should work. I'll try that.

Also, I did a P2V of the physical server and that worked as well. I just wanted to make sure I had more than one option.......just in case. :smileygrin:

Thanks

0 Kudos