VMware Cloud Community
subrasha
Contributor
Contributor

unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine

Hello All,

I am trying to convert a vmdk file created in VMWare Workstation 7 to Microsoft Hyper-V. Tried using SCVMM to convert the VMDK to VHD. It times out. The size of vmdk is around 11GB. I tried converting using VMDK2VHD. It got converter but when I launch it in Hyper-V it says "No operating System found". Hence I downloaded and installed VMware Converter Standalone. I did a Local installation on the Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V server (this is where the .vmdk file reside). I initiate the software and select on convert virtual machine. Selected "VMware Workstation" from drop down. pointed to the location where the .vmx file for the vmdk is. When I click on "next" or click on "view source file" it comes up with this error: unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine.

Please help!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what guest OS do you have in the vmdk ?

and which scsi-controller does it use ?

I have done this successfully with Starwind V2V converter ... plus a manual patch on first boot inside HyperV

what is SCVMM ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook