VMware Cloud Community
jakilolo1
Contributor
Contributor

unable to migrate ORL8.3 vm from hyper v to vmware using the standalone converter

Hi all, I am trying to migrate ORL8.3 vm hosted on hyper v to vmware . Powered on methid

while trying to access the vm from the converter the error "unable to query linux source machine.make sure that you run can run sudo without entering a password when logged into the source machine over SSH . below screenshot 

jakilolo1_0-1674225949409.png

But i have configured the below lines in the sudoers file and confirmed that sudo su do not need credential for all users . screenshot below

jakilolo1_1-1674226559162.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

At this moment hard to say where is the problem and what you are missing. 

What Converter version is in use?

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

If ORL stands for Oracle Linux, then the issue is the version. Converter currently does not convert RHEL 8 (and Oracle Linux is a clone of RHEL, right?).

However, since this is a Hyper-V VM, you may try V2V, i.e. converting it as a powered off VM.

HTH,

Plamen

0 Kudos
jakilolo1
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently using the 6.2.

0 Kudos
jakilolo1
Contributor
Contributor

i tried converting as a powered-off VM whihc completed successfuly. but when i started the VM it was not able to find its boot file (Grub issue). below screenshot

jakilolo1_0-1674494227847.png

0 Kudos
jakilolo1
Contributor
Contributor

currently, i am using version 6.2

0 Kudos
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The issue is the source machine OS version, not Converter's. Converter doesn't work (yet) with RHEL 8.* (or CentOS 8.*, or ORL 8.*, or any other derivative).

That is, if I am not mistaken that ORL stands for Oracle Linux? (it is kind of ungoogleable)

0 Kudos