VMware Cloud Community
gamania
Contributor
Contributor

VMware converter 5.0 will crash when using vCenter 5.1 as destination

converter 5.0 will crash when vcenter is upgraded to 5.1. Does anybody know any temp work around or fix? thanks

0 Kudos
147 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry but thers is no workaround at this time. You can use some old host 5.0(-), convert machines and then upgrade to 5.1 HTH

0 Kudos
gamania
Contributor
Contributor

my hosts are still 5.0, but cannot be used either, coz' they are being managed by vCenter. in order to use those hosts directly, they need to be taken out from vCenter, it's too much work for just importing a machine.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm sorry but this is only one way to do this...

0 Kudos
gamania
Contributor
Contributor

VMware, i hope you are listening and release patch soon.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if target = VMware Infrastucture virtual machine does not work then use Workstation virtual machine as target

Store the vmdk as one piece preallocated type on a NFS server that can be accessed from ESXi.

To import that VM into 5.1 you only need a small edit in the vmdk descriptor.
Then register the VM and vmotion it to your regular storage

0 Kudos
Lasse_T
Contributor
Contributor

This is really bad form from VMware, they really need to get a new 5.1 converter out the door asap and hopefully also fix the issues with the newer linux installs that crashes at 99%

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
tman24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agreed, really, really bad. As they've removed the converter functionality from vCenter (which was pretty useful), and Converter 5.0 doesn't work against vCenter 5.1, you're pretty stuffed at the moment if you want to P2V.

I'm in the same position. I've upgraded vCenter to 5.1, and have two 5.0 ESXi hosts and one ESXi4.1 host in the cluster (ESXi4.1 host is purely there for the upgrade to 5.0/1). I've got a bunch of storage on the ESXi4.1 host that isn't visible to the ESXi5.0 hosts, so I can't vMotion VM's over, and now I can't V2V either. I'm pretty stuck until VMware sort this out.

At least they've now acknowledged it, and are 'working on a solution'. Surely Converter 5.1 should have been made ready for the big rollout this week! Was it forgotten?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi  gamania,

Welcome to the communities .

Are you able to revert to previous version or if will upload log file hope will help to comment the possibilites.

"Life is never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
FransNedPortal
Contributor
Contributor

I found a workaround:
Make a VM on ESXi 5.1.0 running ESXi 5.0.0, and use that Virtual ESXi 5.0.0 for Converter 5 to P2V your physical machines.
0 Kudos
twistedvibe
Contributor
Contributor

Does VMware have any predicted timescale on when this issue will be resolved?

I have a number of VMs to convert, if neccesary I'll revert a host back to 5.0, however this is a lot of work, not to mention a waste of the time spent upgrading it in the first place (which will have to be done again - we need Windows Server 2012 support).

I understand this is the way things are occasionally, however it would be nice to have some idea how long until a resolution to this is presented, even if it's loose, whether it be days, weeks or months... that way I can make a decision as to whether or not to wait.

So... any idea when an update will be available?

0 Kudos
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

I found this thread having run into this issue tonight. Awesome...

Here is a solution:

- Select one of your hosts that can be removed from vCenter without too much horribleness.

- Right click on it and go to REMOVE.

This REMOVES that host from vCenter (derp) releaseing it for use by the converter.

- Now, Open up vCenter Converter on whatever machine you want to convert and select VMWare Infrastructure in the conversion wizard.

- Input the IP or DNS of the host you just removed.

- Complete the rest of the wizard and cross your fingers.

The conversion should start and hopefully complete.

0 Kudos
harley3k
Contributor
Contributor

Bloody hell...

I'm setting up my very first esx server to convert from Hyper-V, and its not going well.

Converter running to a 5.0 esxi host was crawling at 2Mbps even after disabling ssl as recommended...thinking maybe 5.1 would help so upgraded host to 5.1 - now converter crashes every time. WTF?

2012 Hyper-V looking good about now...just sayin'.

Please fix, ASAP.

-hal

0 Kudos
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

LAWL.....

I started my conversion, jumped in the shower and came back to transfer speed of 1.95MB/s over gigabit E.

Check this out:

http://www.problutions.com/?p=617

1. Stop ALL VMWare Converter Services

(START MENU > RUN > SERVICES.MSC > SORT BY NAME > Stop all VMWare Converter Services)

2. Make the changes discribed the article above.

3. Restart all the services.

** Note: If you are on Server 2008 / Small Business Server 2008 save the edited file to your desktop. Then copy / paste it into the correct directory overwriting the old one. UAC FTW.

Make sure you restart all the servives after making this change.

I followed these steps exactly and now im going at 11 MB/s. Not great, but 8 hours is ebtter than 3 days.

Dear DevTeam - Why not just have a checkbox in the application to disable this SSL BS?

Got to love VMWare... Having to Google errors and problems every step of the way TOTALLY makes me want to give you more money. Not that MS is any better but i mean....

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

hi

thanks for the tip.

what you are referencing is well known on the forums http://communities.vmware.com/thread/333786?start=0&tstart=0

iirc ssl is the default for security purposes preventing man in the middle attacks.

it is much faster without ssl, but the option to disable ssl was for troubleshootinng not speed

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Montenegro
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

0 Kudos
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

They should then find some way to either speed up the SSL encryption / decryption times or make it a simple checkbox within the wizard.

I can understand it being on by default, it makes sense, but make it simple to turn it off. (Simple means not digging through config files)

They cannot expect to release a product that performs badly and for peopleto be happy with it.

If SSL being on makes transfers MANY MAGNITUDES slower, then that is a problem. Fix it before releasing the product. EIther that or make it simple for people to turn it off.

VMWare products are getting worse and worse. They're so focused on buzz words and marketing. "If we can say we have features XYZ awesome! Who cares if they don't work well, we can still say we have it!"

0 Kudos
harley3k
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any kind of ETA on a fix for this?

0 Kudos
harley3k
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I need to downgrade to ESX 5.0 until this is fixed?

It seems like this would be something they would/could fix pretty quickly.

0 Kudos