VMware Cloud Community
edgaraholm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Converter fails on physical client - Insufficient space

Hello,

I am trying to use VMware Converter on a physical client running Windows 7, and get this error message:

FAILED: The VSS snapshots cannot be stored because there is not enough space on the source volumes or because the source machine does not have any NTFS volumes. Error code:
2147754783 (0x8004231F).

When running DISKPART - LIST VOLUMES I can see that both partitions is formatted with NTFS.

Anyone got a idea why the process fails?

In advance, thanks.

-Edgar

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also, found this with a search... do you have any unallocated partitions on your drives?

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/254411-vss-error-when-trying-to-p2v-server-using-vmware-conver...

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So you can check your free space on volumes Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
edgaraholm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Doh, i forgot to say that I already checked the LUN for free space, and I have well above 2TB free.

When checking the SAN though, I see that I have 2.65TB available for borrowing, and only 124GB reclaimable space - could this be the problem?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What about free space on NTFS volumes? You should check/google now many free space you need for VSS snapshot on each volume.

edgaraholm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are two disks on the client, one had 200GB free, and the other about 4GB after installing Converter. I've freed up some space and now it has 14GB free - the operation still gives the same error message.

Am I running out of options? The firm that delivered the SAN has just checked it for errors/space issues and come up with squat. Status OK they said.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

How much 14GB as percent are? Check out this solutions http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50043.aspx

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It's probably not a converter issue, but a VSS issue on the source server.

Look at the shadow copy settings on each of the drives on the server.  Is there enough free space in the location to which each drive is set to use for shadow copies?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also, found this with a search... do you have any unallocated partitions on your drives?

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/254411-vss-error-when-trying-to-p2v-server-using-vmware-conver...

0 Kudos
edgaraholm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Eureka!

There was three partitions of small size there from the fabric used for restore - I deselected these in the Converter and it worked!

Thanks.