I am experiencing a problem with VMWare Converter. When trying to start the job, I get an error saying "A File I/O Error Occurred while accessing ". ". I am running it locally on the source server as a local admin.
A File I/o Error Occurred While Accessing Vmware Converter and other critical errors can occur when your Windows operating system becomes corrupted. Opening programs will be slower and response times will lag. When you have multiple applications running, you may experience crashes and freezes. There can be numerous causes of this error including excessive startup entries, registry errors, hardware/RAM decline, fragmented files, unnecessary or redundant program installations and so on.You can repair your os by this tool. http://microsoftsupporthelp.org/a-file-io-error-occurred-while-accessing-vmware-converter/
Here are some nice blogs for troubleshooting as well. . VMWare Convertor – A file I/O error occurred while accessing | The Telarah Technology Times
Hm, just a wild guess, but can you try to connect to Converter Server using IP address instead of connecting to local server? I mean you would still connect to the local server, but through the network interface. If you have installed it locally on the source then you can connect to 127.0.0.1. If you have installed Converter in local mode (default) then you would need to run the installer again, select the Modify option and add the Remote connection feature.
If this doesn't help you can try to install the Converter Server on another machine and point it to the physical source.
It's very likely you have a problem with the DNS for one or more of your hosts. Check in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs and look for the vmware-converter-worker-*.txt files. You'll probably find strings such as "Error: Host address lookup for server <yourhostname> failed: No such host is known" Fix these DNS issues (NB: you might have the DNS records setup correctly, but an incorrect search suffix on your converter server) and vConverter will magically start working.
Many thanks!! That was exactly the problem I was having. The host I was trying to convert wasn't resolving the FQDN for the VMware host that the converter had chosen as a destination. Once I fixed that (by changing the DNS primary entry in the nic configuration on the host I was trying to convert) all worked well!
Yes this seems to be a bug in the Converter 6.1 as well. Only seen it so far with Windows XP conversion, since i don't do much converting. There is some strange DNS dependency in the chain somewhere. Go ahead and edit the *hosts* file on the machine you are converting "source". (if you aren't update-able DNS servers). You will want to add an entry for the ESXi host you are using as a destination. <ip-address> <FQDN>
If you are using a Vcenter server to connect with, i would add that in as well.
On my windows where I installed vcenter converter I added the vmware hypervisor names to the c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file:
You find the Domain Name of the hypervisor in the:
- vSphere Client => hypervisor name or IP => configuration => DNS and Routing:
- vSphere Web Client => in the title of the left window
After adding the HOSTS entry converter worked perfectly.
I got the same error message. We use static IP's on our server equipment and the VMware Converter correctly identified the FQDN for my source.
Where I used it the vCenter destination for the VMware Converter was located in a different DMZ than the source I was running the VMware Converter from. I had previously allowed TCP/443 on my firewall for traffic to the vCenter from the source, but also had to allow TCP/902 from the source I was running VMware Converter on to access the cluster (management) IP's of my VMware hardware.
It looks like the VMware Converter establishes the connection to the vCenter (as the destination "manager" for the clone to be created), but then allows the VMware Converter source to directly "talk to" the cluster (on one of it's IP's) to stream the virtual to the storage for creation.
Hi Gibson, I got the issue before, to fix this you have to make sure the following > Firewall have to be disabled for both Converter Host Server, Destination Server and Source Server > vCenter Port (443) and ESXi Port (902) should be allowed in the Firewall > Update your Host File putting all the Host Name and Its IP of the Destination and vCenter Converter Server to Source Server > Update your Host File putting all the Host Name and Its IP of the Source to vCenter Server > Make sure Anivirus for both Source and vCenter Converter server/host is disabled. In some cases, Any antivirus will unexpectedly close/block the connection. *** Source (Can be Physical or Virtual) *** Destination (Your ESXi Host/DataStore) Let us know if it works. Good Luck Man! Keep Virtualizing! Regards, JOf