VMware Cloud Community
peter1x
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to the network share 'x.x.x.x\ADMIN$'.

Crikey! The 1st time I try to use the converter standalone and I get this error when it trys to install the agent on the remote source! I've followed the instructions to the letter: Converter installed on XPSP3 in the same workgroup as the source XPSP3 PC. Admin a/c and password correct ( I can net use a share when sharing is switched on). Firewalls on both PCs switched off. File sharing on the source disabled (not quite sure why I have to do this, but it's in the instructions).

I get these entries in the converter-worker-1.log:

Install Agent on 192.168.2.5

Connecting to ADMIN$ on 192.168.2.5 as 192.168.2.5\administrator

SMB manager: Host could not be reached over the network to map share http://\\192.168.2.5\ADMIN$.

And that's it. I tried re-enabling file sharing on the source, but that made no difference.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a workaround? Please help!

Regards, Peter

13 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forums.

To have admin shares available, you can try to start Server service on the PC you want to virtualize.

Hope it helps

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
peter1x
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Franck,

Thanks for the suggestion but, unfortunately, when I went to start the server service, I found it already started. I restarted it, just in case, but still get the same error.

(Not sure what happened to the log entries in my initial post: It was all plain text that I pasted - no crossings out or links. All the square brackets have disappeared - strange goings on!)

This is frustrating as it ought to be straightforward to fix - I have the simplest network and all comms appear to be working fine (except in converter!).

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you successfully connect to the XP PC you want to convert with

net use *
192.168.2.5\admin$ /u:192.168.2.5\administrator *

If yes, run a net use and make sure there are no existing mappings to the PC before you start the conversion.

André

EDIT: Does your password contain any special characters or blanks?

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

From the machine you want to virtualize, open a DOS prompt and enter "net share". If you can't find ADMIN$ in the result, you need to change this registry key (create a DWORD if it doesn't exist):

- HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\AutoShareWks

Give it the value "1" and restart the service. Check with "net share" if the admin share is created.

Good luck!

Franck

0 Kudos
peter1x
Contributor
Contributor

I found the problem! Turn off SIMPLE file sharing not file sharing. Then the admin shares are available and the converter works.

THanks for your suggestions, they helped narrow it down.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
njmnjm
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to get it to work by simply using the local admin credentials instead of network admin credentials

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you disable "simple sharing" on the machine? If not, just disable simple-sharing.

0 Kudos
njmnjm
Contributor
Contributor

POCEH, simple file shareing was already turned off for me and I still had the problem. Simply using the local admin credentials resolved the issue for me. I can't speak to any of the other users in this discussion.

0 Kudos
peter1x
Contributor
Contributor

Hi POCEH,

My problem was that VMWares instructions were wrong! The instructions say to turn off file sharing: the word "simple" is missing from that sentence. As per Franck's suggestion when I opened a DOS prompt (on the PC I wanted to clone) and typed  "net share", I couldn't see ADMIN$.That's what lead me to turn off simple file sharing. Then the share was available.

njmnjm's problem was that s/he couldn't connect to the admin share because s/he wasn't logged in as admin.

Peter

0 Kudos
Caro1008
Contributor
Contributor

Use the FQDN Fully qualified domain name of the system your trying to P2V.

Example:

server name:  SR1020

FQDN:     SR1020.DOMAIN.MIL

Worked for me!

Make sure your ADMIN$ share is on the system too.

0 Kudos
craigbenting
Contributor
Contributor

The problem in my case was that I was not connecting to the FQDN.  Once I fixed that and logged in with the domain admin credentials, it worked fine.

0 Kudos
SanthoshVanjre
Contributor
Contributor

Caro ,

Thanks,  FQDN option solved the issue

Caro1008
Contributor
Contributor

Glad it helped someone...cheers..:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos