VMware Cloud Community
KristianMalvand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hyper 2008R2 to VMware 5.1 migration

Hi,

Anyone who has expirience with P2V migration of Hyper-V 2008R2 servers to VMware 5.1 . I know that the converter tool is not supported in 5.1 only for 5.0 beta so anyone who has a suggestion how to migrate the servers esaly?

I have tried to migrade 1 hyper-v guest localy with the converter tool for workstation 9 and eventhough the migration didn't pop an error the virtual mashine could not be bootet correctly on the vmware workstation. Got blue screen during boo with 0xE7 error which propeply is an driver error.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try Converter 5.0.1

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BilBens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I suggest you to try one of these two solutions

First Solution:
You can use vmware converter 4.3  or 4.
The vm will come up with virtual hardware 4.
Just update the virtual hardware manually for the virtual machine when the conversion is done and you should be in business.
Second solution:
1. Prepare a system with the free vSphere Hypervisor 5.0
2. Proceed with the conversion of the server  with the target being vSphere Hypervisor 5.0
3. Once the conversion is done, immedietly move/copy the file to ESXi 5.1
Please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points to those Answers you found useful or correct.
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try Converter 5.0.1

0 Kudos
KristianMalvand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your answer but the new converter doesn't support the latest version either. I know that i can downgrade/trailversion installation but was hoping there were a better solution to it.

Depending on the selected source, you can convert it to the following destinations.

• VMware vCenter virtual machines
    • ESX 3.5, 4.0, and 4.1
    • ESXi 3.5, 4.0, 4.1, and 5.0
    • vCenter Server 2.5, 4.0, 4.1, and 5.0
  • VMware Desktop virtual machines
    • VMware Workstation 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, and 8.x
    • VMware Player 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x
    • VMware Server 1.x and 2.x
    • VMware Fusion 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x
0 Kudos
KristianMalvand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer. I was aware of the solution you mentioned to downgrade or install a trial version but was hoping there was a better solution to have this done.

0 Kudos