VMware Cloud Community
warnerp060869
Contributor
Contributor

Error "cannot configure the source image"

Hi All,

I am trying to migrate a couple of .VMX files from Workstation v6.0.2 build-59824 onto an ESX v3.0.1, 42829 Server using Converter 3.0.2u1 build-92456. Everything goes OK when selecting the .VMX file, choosing the Source Data and the Destination but when I choose the Datastore I get the message "Warning:Cannot configure the source image" and my only option is to select the OK button which then allows me to continue the process. It runs quite happily up to about 97% and then fails.

I have looked through the error logs but I can't see anything that jumps out as the cause of the problem. I have just started the process again (3rd time now) but this time I have deselected Install VMWare Tools just incase that did something funny.

For some background incase it is relevant. To get to this point I have:

1 Recieved a Norton Ghost image file made with Ghost 2003 of a Windows 98 desktop

2 Created a VM in Workstation and booted it from a network boot floppy disk and extraced the .GHO image into the VM

3 Applied the VMWare Tools and updated all the Windows 98 drivers

4 Confirmed that the new VM worked OK

5 Shutdown the new VM

6 Launched Converter and begun the process

Any help will be gratefully recieved Smiley Happy

Cheers

Paul

0 Kudos
3 Replies
warnerp060869
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that deselecting Install VMWare Tools does the trick.

Probably should have waited to see if it worked before posting the question.

Paul

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Windows 98

Please note:

http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv302update1.html#guestos

Support for the following guest operating systems is Experimental. VMware Converter 3 can clone source images containing these operating systems, but the destination virtual machine may or may not work without additional configuration after import. In particular, if the source image contains unsupported hardware, you might need to modify the configuration of the destination virtual machine before using it:

• Linux

• Windows Vista

• Windows NT 3.x

• Windows ME

• Windows 98

• Windows 95

• MS-DOS

0 Kudos
LuckyOne
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dear,

I have RedHat Linux 5.x VMWare workstation Image and I want to migrate it on ESXi 4.0 Server.

Is it possible?

When I tried it - getting Warning Can not configure the source image?

When bypassed the warning and covert it - could not power on the image - error - operating system not found?

What could be an issue? Please help

Thanks,

0 Kudos