VMware Cloud Community
mountwash
Contributor
Contributor

Convert Linux Xen VM to VMware

I've come across an issue that I can't seem to get around. The conversion ALWAYS fails after 2 minutes and at 3%

I get the following error when attempting to convert a Linux VM (converted some octets to x):

"FAILED: A general system error occurred:
Network error. Host 192.168.xxx.xx key can't be retrieved. (return code 2)
"

Here are the stats:

Citrix XenCenter v6.5 (64-bit)

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client v6.1.1

vSphere Client v6.0.0

VMware ESXi v6.0.0

I've gone through everything I can locate on the web, and nothing seems to work.

I can SSH into the VM from another VM (with root) on the same subnet that is already a VM sitting in VMware. It was a recently converted VM from the same source as the Linux device.

We are not using iptables, we have tried adding another network interface to  make sure that it can communicate directly across, /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny are empty, and I've even added ALL:ALL into allow to be sure, as well as restarted the networking services afterwards. We are using RSA and not DSA keys. We are using IP address and not domain name.

I'm at a loss as to what else it could be and what I can try next. Any help is appreciated.

-------------

As an additional, I've come across this article:

Enabling Logging in to Helper Virtual Machine During Conversion of Powered-On Linux Sources with Con...

It appears that for some reason, the helper is grabbing an IP address from our public lan, rather than the management lan. This appears to be the issue. Now, I need to understand how to restart the job with the existing helper in place after providing it with the appropriate IP address for the mgmt. lan.

If I simply retry starting the job, it errors stating that the VM already exists.

Can I restart with the existing helper?

-------------

Final edit:

I added in the IP address through the set up in the converter during the start of the settings, and everything is working.

0 Kudos
0 Replies