VMware Cloud Community
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vDR and OpenFiler iSCSI or NFS?

hi guys

one of my customer is doing a P2V for all his infraestrucure right now he has HP Server and for the virtualized env IBM will be used.... just some basic info

Ok normal Vmware Implementation using SAN FC for ESX datastores but since they are a low budget company they requested me to use their HP servers as Alternate Disaster Recovery Site while the get enough money to invest on something real

so my idea is to deploy vDR (thinking about this since does not look pretty estable Smiley Sad )

my question would be what do you recommend me OpenFiler on those HP Servers iSCSI or NFS Based? stable speed? which is better?

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... they are a low budget company ...

Seems each company nowadays is a low budget company. I wonder if they also sell their products for a low price, too Smiley Wink

Anyway, since you are asked for a recommendation, make sure you don't go with an unsupported solution! In case of data loss they will most likely blame you for this.

see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026596

André

0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nice one I would say some companies still don't belief how important is their IT Infraestruture and they don't invest much until they got problems

so OpenFiler NFS would be the way to go?

I should add would you recommend me something more robust like veeam or vranger ?

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

so OpenFiler NFS would be the way to go?

Well, I used VDR only in my test environment, without doing any performance tests. However, if you want to go with VDR you could consider to use a simple file share as the backup repository, which is fully supported.

I should add would you recommend me something more robust like veeam or vranger ?

IMO, these solution play in the premium league (compared to VDR).

Personally I never used Veeam so far. I prefer vRanger Pro and use file shares (preferably on DataDomain appliances for deduplication) as the backup destination.

André

0 Kudos