VMware Cloud Community
johanbd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

question about vdp sizing

Hi All,

Does anyone know how vdp works when backing up a vm. I mean if i have a vm with 2 vmdk as below :

Vmdk 1 size 100gb thick (used space is 30 gb)

Vmdk 2 size 500gb thin (used space is 200 gb)

How much is the initial full backup size for vm above using vdp 6 ....???i cannot find any documents regarding this matters =(

3 Replies
praonv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VDP Sizing depends on many factors VM Storage Size, deduplication, Change rate, Amount of data, retention period etc.

For initial few backups, storage quickly fills because every client that you back up contains unique data. VDP deduplication is more effective when other similar clients have been backed up, or the same clients have been backed up at least once.

After the initial backup, the VDP appliance backs up less unique data during subsequent backups. When the initial backups—the local backups and the backups from other servers exceed the retention periods, you can measure the ability of the system to store about as much new data as it frees each day.

For Example VM With 40GB used storage(Thin provisioned) occupied around 15 GB of VDP deduplicated backup storage first time. After 15 days of daily backup with default retention policy and minimal change rate, total backup storage was about 20 GB.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-protection-administration... Page 27 and 28 gives Sample recommendations for vSphere Data Protection sizing.

johanbd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thx Praonv. So basically  there is no way to give an exact sizing from the start and as the VDP best practice stated that we must put vm on vdp one at a time to measure how much space that we needs based on policy and retention

praonv
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. You are right!!

0 Kudos