VMware Cloud Community
woisch
Contributor
Contributor

(VMware Data Recovery) Restore without vCenter ? possible?

Hi,

it is possible to restore a complete virtual machine without using the vCenter?

i mean in the case of disaster if no vCenter is available and the esx hosts are crashed. Or is vCenter a MUST to restore the machine to a single esx host?

Thanks

woisch

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ianmellor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As long as your hosts can see the virtual machines on your storage you will be able to add them to a single esx host. You can browse the data store and add the vm to the inventory. You will have to have host base licensing for your esx or get your vCentre server up and running within 60 days.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
woisch
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thats clear. But i mean restore vms from a data recovery deduplication store without using vCenter...

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What kind of Backupsoftware are you using here?

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
woisch
Contributor
Contributor

ok sorry my mistake, have now edit the thread..... i`m using VMware Data Recovery 1.1 for testing at the moment...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, this is possible with VDR. The vCenter Server connection/presence is required for any automated VDR operations like the nightly backups/reclaim operations, etc.

You can easily test it. Instead of connecting vSphere Client to the vCenter Server name/IP address, connect to the ESX host that the VDR appliance is running on. Then click on the VDR icon under Solutions - I think it will ask you to reauthenticate to the ESX host login/password - if not, run the Setup Wizard again (under the configuration tab). Then attempt to do a restore (VM or file).

woisch
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Azmir, i tried it and it works fine. In the meantime VDR is a realy good tool i think Smiley Wink)

0 Kudos