VMware Cloud Community
Rugbot
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize 6.01 - How do I specify a metric unit in a Resource Interaction XML file ?

Hi

Is there a way to specify a non-default display unit for a metric in a Resource interaction XMl file, so that dashboard displays the data in the chosen unit , than the internally stored unit in vROps ?

In the below example, even though I change the CPU Demand metric unit to "GHz", the dashboard sill displays data in the default "MHz".

<Metric attrkey="vm|cpu|demandmhz" label="CPU Usage" metricUnitId="Ghz" unit="ghz"/>

TIA

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JihemmeT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Sadly, this doesn't seem to work as intended right now.

When you use, for example, total memory for a whole cluster, data given is in KB (let's take and example : 1 024 000 000 KB).

When you ask for it to be shown in TB, it shows.... 1 024 000 000 TB (which is cool, my cluster is now godly).

Problems aren't only here, when you use supermetrics, sometimes you can't even show a unit, plain and simple. You can try to put what you want, it won't print it.

To make it short : there is a bug imho here, I have several open cases with VMware and this is one of them (not the most painful one by a long shot), easy to workaround, just create a supermetric that explains the unit in the label, end of story. For exemple, when you need to show GB in place of KB, just do a /pow(1024,2) and trick is done. Just name your supermetric with the resulting unit or nested supermetrics can become a nightmare to maintain.

Sad but true...

Regards

0 Kudos