VMware Cloud Community
UberGeek1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vROps 6.x using EPO Metrics on same dashboard as Virtual Machine metrics

So got vROps up and running for about 2 years and have some great data from it.  We are starting to roll out the EPO Agent to all of our VM's because as we all know, what the HyperVisor thinks the VM is using and what the VM thinks it's using as far as resources (RAM, CPU) most often are different.  So my conundrum is, having all this data, how can I create a dashboard that can display both HyperVisor metrics and GuestOS metrics together on the same scorecard after picking a VM from a object list? 

The main issue I'm seeing is that the EPO agent object and the GuestOS object don't automatically relate to the Virtual Machine object, which makes it tough to use all the data together in one cohesive manner.

I guess that brings another question; how does vROps use the GuestOS metrics in it's analytics of the VM?  or can it even do that?

Sincerely, Jody L. Whitlock
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Answer to your first question is you cant. You are correct in that there is not relationship between the VMware metrics (collected by the vcenter adapter) and the EOPS agent metrics. Because they are both separate objects you cant select a VM from an object list and get the EOPS data you would need to select a EOPS server object.

We were looking at using the EOPS agent for the memory stats as you were but there is no need as in-guest stats are now available through the vcenter adapter. This is dependent on your ESXi, vmware tools, and vrops version

Answer to your last question the EOPS data is not used for capacity or right sizing.

I can see over the next year or so a lot more in-guest stats being collected without the need for the EOPS agent. To be honest i could see the EOPS agent being fully folded into the VMware tools

0 Kudos
UberGeek1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"there is no need as in-guest stats are now available through the vcenter adapter"  Can you elaborate?  I'm not finding this to be the case but if there is and I can show documentation on that fact then awesome!  Plus, there really wouldn't be a point in having the EPo Agent installed then unless you are wanting stuff like IIS and such.

Sincerely, Jody L. Whitlock
0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Yea i was so glad they added it in. i was about to role the EOPS agent out to 15k VMs just to get memory stats. There is alot more the EOPS agent does (Service monitoring and so on) that vrops does not do yet

here is a link that explains whet you need

New Memory stats exposed in vRealize Operations 6.3 leveraging VMware Tools - virtSanity

0 Kudos