VMware Cloud Community
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

vROPs 6: How to add SAN switches?

Hi

In vROPs 6.01 I have added the Management Pack for Storage Details and connected it to my vCenter Server. On my vCenter Server I connected all storage arrays through the "Storage Providers" section. This is all working fine.  I've seen that it should also be able to add the Cisco SAN switches. I read something about DCNM and SMI-S, but I'm not sure where to start.

We have a Cisco DCNM server running (trail mode without license key) in our environment where all SAN switches are connected to. How should I connect the Cisco SAN switches to vCOPs? Do I need to add an URL from the DCNM server into my vCenter Server? But where in vCenter and what URL? Or should I go into DCNM and add vCenter there? But how do I get the data to vROPs then?

The manual for the "Management Pack for Storage Details" feels very incomplete.

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
funksoul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, Gabrie.

Seems that you already added the VC to the MPSD instance and registered VASA providers to the VC.

Then the next step is to register fabric servers to the vR Ops MPSD instance.

If DCNM supports SMI-S and provides CIM fabric or switch profile,

all you need might be the ip/username/password of DCNM's SMI-S provider when register it to the vR Ops MPSD instance.

* A fabric server means a SAN device such as a switch that provides CIM fabric or switch profile via SMI-S.

* The MPSD adapter logs will give you useful hints when you encounter any problem.

Regards,

Ho-Sung.

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

funksoul wrote:

Hi, Gabrie.

Seems that you already added the VC to the MPSD instance and registered VASA providers to the VC.

Then the next step is to register fabric servers to the vR Ops MPSD instance.

If DCNM supports SMI-S and provides CIM fabric or switch profile,

all you need might be the ip/username/password of DCNM's SMI-S provider when register it to the vR Ops MPSD instance.

* A fabric server means a SAN device such as a switch that provides CIM fabric or switch profile via SMI-S.

* The MPSD adapter logs will give you useful hints when you encounter any problem.

Regards,

Ho-Sung.

Hmmm, so you think I do need to add the CIM to the vROPs MPSD adapter? I was told by support it should be done through vCenter Server. That is what confuses me.

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
funksoul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeap.

An array(storage) CIM provider should be added to the vCenter Server first via VASA providers registration and the vCenter Server should be added to the vR Ops MPSD Adpater instance.

If you add the vCenter Server to the vR Ops MPSD Adapter instance successfully, "Add Fabric Server" button is activated in the MPSD Adapter Settings page and you can add a fabric(switch) CIM provider like DCNM.

AFAIK there's no way to add a fabric CIM provider in the vCenter Server.

Regards,

Ho-Sung.

0 Kudos