VMware Cloud Community
gittro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vROPS 6.1 Dashboard ownership

Hello:

I'm trying to figure out some Best Practices for dashboard ownership. Since specific users can create and share their own dashboards, we're encountering some issues whereby some of those key dashboard creators are leaving the organization, and we'll want to shut down their accounts - the accounts that the dashboard was created under.

What are other organizations doing to manage these scenarios?

I was thinking of creating a special account "per team" that staff would log into to create/edit dashboards - but that seems a bit tedious (since that would be a "shared" rather than individual account) and requires users to jump between login accounts depending on what they plan to do within vROPS.

Can I simply "seize" ownership of a dashboard published by someone else? Problem is, in some cases I can't even see specific dashboards, if they are not shared with the "vROPS admin" group I'm a member of.

Do we just have to set up strict rules relating to the accounts to use for creating/editing dashboards?

Any insights/advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
slamptey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are two scenarios that I suggest as best practices to companies.

1. You are unable to take ownership of a shared dashboard, but you have the ability to clone the shared dashboard. Once the shared dashboard is cloned, you now become the owner of the clone dashboard. Therefore you have two identical dashboard, one shared and one owned by you. It would make sense to rename the clone dashboard, so you can easily identify between the two.

2. As an organization wide practice, I would suggest that all created dashboards, as well as policies, alerts, views, reports or anything that is customized from the out of the box software be exported and kept in a central location accessible to the necessary groups. vROPs does a great job to provide users the ability to import and export almost anything. What this would do is to allow you to always have access to any user customized and created dashboard. Any past documents would be available even after the creator has left because you can import an exported documents and become the owner.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would suggest that best practice would be that anyone who creates dashboards should make it a standard to share those dashboards with everyone just so incase they leave the company, even if you can't take ownership of the dashboard they created, you can at least recreate it.

VMware has not been very forthcoming with the sharing, permission and rules of dashboards and views, but they would come around eventually.

--
*** If you like my response, please click "Like" below, if you think I answered your question to the best of my abilities, please mark post as Correct Answer ***

3x vROps Environments implemented across my organization. VDI vROPs 8.4 ::: Epic vROPs 8.4 ::: Shared vROPs 7.0
vROPs Adapters in use: EpicCare & Horizon View Adapter 2.1
slamptey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are two scenarios that I suggest as best practices to companies.

1. You are unable to take ownership of a shared dashboard, but you have the ability to clone the shared dashboard. Once the shared dashboard is cloned, you now become the owner of the clone dashboard. Therefore you have two identical dashboard, one shared and one owned by you. It would make sense to rename the clone dashboard, so you can easily identify between the two.

2. As an organization wide practice, I would suggest that all created dashboards, as well as policies, alerts, views, reports or anything that is customized from the out of the box software be exported and kept in a central location accessible to the necessary groups. vROPs does a great job to provide users the ability to import and export almost anything. What this would do is to allow you to always have access to any user customized and created dashboard. Any past documents would be available even after the creator has left because you can import an exported documents and become the owner.

gittro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks to both responders to my query. This information is very useful for creating a policy for vROPS object creation.

Cheers!

0 Kudos