VMware Cloud Community
Sonikashah
Contributor
Contributor

Vrealize capabilty

Hi ,

I have a customer who is using vrops in dev environment .

He have a questions regarding this :

Network - Can vrops monitor physical devices as well like cisco devices.

Storage - can it monitor heterogeneous storage . If yes then how it is diffrent from EMC ViPR SRM.

Application - I understand hyperic is not that capable so we are using AppD.

System performance-  we are using BMC BPPM ? Can i use vrops here as it can optimize as well.

Last but not the least . Can i use vrops as a MOM layer tool?

Regards ,

Sonika

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

A good start that will answer most if not all the questions can be found https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/category_groups/cloud-management?category=cloud-operations...

It also depends on the version of vrops you are licences for. The easiest way to look at is is advanced edition is for infrastructure ( Hosts, vcenter, esxi,  Hardware) and enterprise is the application layer

Network - Can vrops monitor physical devices as well like cisco devices. Blue Medora have a MP for this (Advanced edition)

Storage - can it monitor heterogeneous storage . If yes then how it is different from EMC ViPR SRM. VMware have one for generic storage but most vendors have a MP for there own (Advanced Edition)

Application - I understand hyperic is not that capable so we are using AppD. If VMware dont have the MP Blue Medora should do (Enterprise edition) Also may need an agent installed.

System performance-  we are using BMC BPPM ? Can i use vrops here as it can optimize as well. This is what vrops is very good at and will do it out of the box for the virtual environment

Last but not the least . Can i use vrops as a MOM layer tool? It is not designed as a MOM but in some instances the MP relies of the manager of the device that you are monitoring. One example is the brocade fiber switches. The last time i looked at the MP it required the Brocade network analyser (could have change names since then) to pull the data from

Hope this helps

0 Kudos