VMware Cloud Community
Albatross1
Contributor
Contributor

SNMP configuration for vcops

I have set up SNMP in vCOPs but it is not sending vCOps information to our SNMP server.

1. Other than configuring the information in the admin UI under "SNMP configuration, is there any other set up required?

2. Do Alert Handlers have to be configured before SNMP operates with vCOPs?

3.  Is there a way to check inside the vcops linux os to see if vcops attempted to communicate an SNMP trap but it failed somehow?  Is there an "SNMP messages" file somewhere inside the linux OS?

4.  Does vcops 5.8's linux firewall allow SNMP by default or is there any other security on the vcops vms to be checked that might stand in snmp's way?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hm, up to 5.7.x the SNMP connection was not blocked on the vApp. e.g. it just works out of the box. Haven't really looked into that in 5.8...

few things come to mind:

- are you using the correct community string?

- have you imported the vcops MIB files into your system?

- if you go to custom-ui, do you see an outbound-alerts instance for SNMP created? if yes, you can try with the "test button", see what happens

Albatross1
Contributor
Contributor

This is a new installation so nothing has been configured except
what is in the Admin UI under SNMP.

To answer your 3 questions:

1. I’m sure I’m using the correct community string
  2. How do I import the vCOps MIB files into my system? 
  3. Where exactly in the custom UI would I look to find the
    outbound-alerts instance?
0 Kudos
Albatross1
Contributor
Contributor

This is a new installation so nothing has been configured except what is in the Admin UI under SNMP.

To answer your 3 questions:

1. I’m sure I’m using the correct community string

2. How do I import the vCOps MIB files into my system?

3. Where exactly in the custom UI would I look to find the outbound-alerts instance?

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

- mib files you can find on the Analytics_vm; I don't have the exact location at the top of my head, but just look for them and you will find

most likely somewhere in /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/*
As to import procedure, I don't know, it's your system Smiley Happy

- in custom UI look where the outbound alert settings are, I think it's under Admin page

0 Kudos
aaghabekyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In the Custom UI you can Add/Edit/Delete/Start/Stop SNMP Trap outbound-alerts instance from Alert Handler go to ADMIN tab -> CONFIGURE OUTBOUND ALERT.

MIB files located on Analytics VM /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/user/plugins/outbound/snmp_alertplugin/mibs

0 Kudos
LROSADO2012
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure you load the MIBS in the correct order. If you load then in any order SNMP might not work.

0 Kudos