VMware Cloud Community
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Re:Resource tags & Hyperic Adapter

Hello Guys,

1.)The Resource tags in vcops are default and also we can build custom resource tags.can anybody show how to build the custom resource tags. I have read in one of the discussions that there is no auto  discovery possible for the custom resource tags and defaults resource tags? Isn't not resolved in new releases?

2.)If there are any new changes in the environment (eg: added a cluster or new datastores) should we add manually to the dashboards?

Thanks

VK

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
35 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hyperic comes in a vApp for 5.0 so I highly recommend that route.  A Hyperic server is agnostic, so you can manage any supported platform agents with either a Windows or Linux install (the vApp is SLES 11 based).

The agent would then be installed on every platform you wish to manage - this can be physical or virtual, doesn't matter.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jddias,

1.)I am little confused. If the hyperic comes in vApp 5.0 i am unable to find it in my vcops 5.0.3 enterprise edition. I am using vApp only.

2.)If the Hyperic is available in vApp then the Hyperic open source you are refering is used as a monitoring tool with no relation to the vcops (like tivoli)?

3.)Regarding Hyperic agent should we have to manually install it on each and every windows and linux machines in the environment.(like tivoli agent)

Thanks for your patience,

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hyperic comes as its own vApp.  It is not embedded in the vC Ops vApp.

Standalone, vApp installs work the same from connection to vC Ops.  Same goes for Enterprise and Open Source.

Yes, you would manually deploy the agent but there is a process for mass deployment outlined in the documentation.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

By the way, vC Ops does have a Tivoli adapter.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Hugo/Jddias,

Thanks a lot for the Info.

I want to conclude what i understood so that you can correct me if any mistakes.

1.)Hyperic comes as its own vApp. -- So if install the Hyperic as a vApp or as (a standalone like vcops) on windows/linux platforms (Open source or enterprise edition) vcops uses a plugin from this hyperic as an adapter and pulls the data. where i have to buy for the enterprise edition of Hyperic.

What is the free Hyperic that the vmware is providing? Is it the open source Hyperic as a vApp-This is a bit confusing. i am not getting myself clear picture?

2.)To monitor the virtual and physical environment i have to install seperate Hyperic Instances.

Thanks Jddias

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The vC Ops Hyperic adapter also works with the Open Source "free" edition of Hyperic.

You do not need a different installed instance of Hyperic to monitor virtual and physical.  You can manage both environments from one instance.

This may help you understand -

The vApp is nothing more than the Hyperic server and database pre-installed for you on a couple of Linux VMs.  VMware provides this with Hyperic release 5.0.  However, you still have the option to install the product yourself on Windows or Linux.  There is no vApp provided by VMware for the Open Source edition.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now i got the clear picture.

Hyperic can be deployed as an vApp using the Enterprise version which we have to buy.(we still have the option to deploy on windows/linux)

From which version of Hyperic (3.4 to 5 05 only form 5) we can deploy as vApp ?

Hyperic Open source can be installed on windows/linux but not as a vapp.Which is free

I am looking at other discussion regarding hyperic 5 , where you are working on the blog which shows configuring hyperic and using it with vcops if i am not wrong ?

That would help me more with hyperic.

Thanks for your patience and you r kind

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I haven't done it yet but I will work on it and post in this community.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jddias,

Can you validate these statements so that ifeel comfortable that i am in same page.

Hyperic can be deployed as an vApp using the Enterprise version which we have to buy.(we still have the option to deploy on windows/linux)

From which version of Hyperic (3.4 to 5.0 or only form 5.0) we can deploy as vApp ?

Hyperic Open source can be installed on windows/linux but not as a vapp.Which is free

Thanks a Lot Jddias/Hugo

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Only Hyperic Enterprise Edition 5.0 is available as a vApp.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Jddias,

Thanks a lot for the info. I am good about Hyperic adaptor.

I need some info on the tivoli adaptor as it can be integrated by vC Ops. I searched for the adaptor implementation and i got only one doc

ftp://ftp.integrien.com/VCOPS-Third_Party_Tool_Adapters/IBM-ITM/IBM-Tivoli-Monitoring-Adapter-Instal....

Are there any other docs for implementation and integration of tivoli adapter from vmware?

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VK, would you mind starting a new thread with this question?  That would help other who are looking for the same info plus allow people to answer your question about Tivoli adapter without having to scroll through all the Resource tag discussion.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ya sure Jddias,

i will post a new Discussion.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Jddias,

I just got a doubt regarding Hyperic. What is the major difference between Hyperic HQ and Vmware vFabric Hyperic. when i try to downlaod the Hyperic i have lot of 5.0.0 versions available listed below. Which one is the best vfabric hyperic or Hyperic HQ

1.)Hyperic HQEE.tar.gz/.zip -- without jre or database but again it says vFabric Hyperic 5.0 in the information.

2.)Hyperic HQEE-installer-linux.tar.gz/win-zip-nothng was mentioned about database

3.)vFabric -hyperic.ova --which runs as a vApp. What r the features i lost if run this vApp instead of Hyperic HQ

4.)vFabric-hyperic-db_ovf.Mf

vFabric-hyperic-db_ovf.ovf

vFabric-hyperic-db_ovf.vmdk -- where all these three is a bundle and what does they say? are they seperated files of a vApp

Again comes the vfabric-hyperic with HQEE.exe/rpm which r for linux and windows and why the HQ is with Hyperic here. As other versions dont have the HQ?

5.)vFabric-hyperic-HQEE.exe/rpm

Now again

6.)vFabric-hyperic-server-ovf.mf

vFabric-hyperic-server-ovf.ovf

vFabric-hyperic-server-ovf.vmdk

These there are seperated files of the server. What is the difference between the 4 and 6 versions, 1and 2 versions, and what does the 5th version mean?

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VFHQ_500&productId=311&rPId=3189#errorCheck...

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got this info from the vfabric hyperic documentation.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vfabricHyperic50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vfabric-hyperic-overview-5.0.0.p...

vFabric Hyperic is the commercial version of the Hyperic product, available as part of vFabric Suite (previously known as
"vFabric Platform") and as a standalone product. Hyperic HQ is the open-source version of Hyperic. The products have
many similarities, although vFabric Hyperic has a number of features that the open source offering does not.
As a general rule in documentation text, "Hyperic" is used in contexts that apply to both vFabric Hyperic and Hyperic HQ.
"vFabric Hyperic" and "Hyperic HQ" (or "HQ") are used in contexts that apply specifically to one product or the other.
Exceptions include titles of Hyperic guides, which refer to vFabric Hyperic, and some "HQ" references in the user interface
and code that apply to both products.

My question is half resolved ehre the HQ is a open source in vfabric and only vFabric we have to buy. What is this difference of the DB version?

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any Suggestions on what is the Hyperic DB version is appreciated.

Thanks

VK

0 Kudos