VMware Cloud Community
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Linux Swap / Windows Paging monitor

I saw that with vrops it's possible to get some guests information like Disk spaces without having hyperic agent installed (I think vmware tools report some informations to vcenter).

Anyone know if there's also the possibility to get information related to Memory SWAP on linux/Paging file used on windows system in the same way without having to install an agent?

Thanks

Francesco

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vSchroed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Machines have a metric for swapped memory, unfortunately it's not the information you are asking for. In this case it refers to memory reclaimed by VMKernel swapping. For the page files and linux swapping you would need an agent like Hyperic setup.

Jeff

fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes I saw them... there's about 10 metrics all related to swap of the VM (externally in esx host) but nothing about memory consumption/swap for the internal vm. It's strange as there are metric for disks inside the VM so I can monitor c: or / disk space without the need of an agent but to know how much memory is swapped/paging I need an agent.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

well, yes...

the few metrics available on the internal storage come via vmware_tools. which, in a way, is "some sort of an agent" Smiley Happy

but for the rest you need Hyperic

fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It would be really nice if vmware tools could get some more metrics Smiley Happy

Probably it will take out the need to have an agent just to get some basic inside the vm metrics while you could still use hyperic if you need full metrics from vm/processes etc...

0 Kudos