VMware Cloud Community
taopiglet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License file not found - VCenter Operations 5.6

I upgraded my VCenter Operations Manager 5.0.3 to version 5.6 by using the Upgrade package.

Once the upgrade was complete, I registered VCenter Operations to my VCenter Server (version 5.0.0) by clicking on Update in VCenter Operations Administration.

It updated the registration successfully and the plug-in shows as installed in VCenter Plug In - Manager (VCenter Operations Manager version 5.6.0.923459 shows as Enabled in Plug Ins).

I see that the new license files are in C:\Program Files\VMWare\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\licenses\site in the form of 5 new files by the name of license-vco-56-e1-51-201203

license-vco-56-e12-51-201203

license-vco-56-e2-51-201203

license-vco-56-e3-51-201203

license-vco-56-e4-51-201203

When I try to add my new license key (which I upgraded on MyVMware license portal to VCenter Operations Suite 5.6 Standard) on my VCenter 5.0.0 Server (in Administration/Licensing), I get "Invalid license key:  License file not found".

In vpxd.log, I see:  Unable to decode license XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX with error 5 using path dir://C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\licenses\site.

VCenter Server 5 Standard Version:  5.0.0 Build 455964

VCenter Operations Manager Version:  5.6.0 (upgraded from 5.0.3)

Dave Hudson Sr. Systems Admin - Virtualization
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think you are using the vC Ops Suite Lic. The Suite Lic can only be used on vCenter 5.1.

You need to get the Standalone vC Ops Lic if you are using vCenter 5.0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think you are using the vC Ops Suite Lic. The Suite Lic can only be used on vCenter 5.1.

You need to get the Standalone vC Ops Lic if you are using vCenter 5.0

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the release of vCenter Operations Management Suite 5.6, there is a capability to use a Single Suite license key to enable functionality across all the suite components. The use of this Suite license key with Operations Manager and Infrastructure navigator (VIN), requires at least one instance of vCenter Server 5.1.

If you wish to use the recently released Operations Manager and Infrastructure navigator components with vCenter Server versions 5.0 or 4.1, the compatible license keys for these products, can be obtained from a text file located under each of the Product downloads:

vCenter Operations Manager 5.6 (Standard, Advanced and Enterprise editions): https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_opera...

vCenter Infrastructure Navigator (VIN) 2.0:
https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info?slug=infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_inf...

If you are using vCenter Server version 5.1, you can continue to take advantage of the newly issued single Suite license keys for vCenter Operations 5.6 Standard/Advanced/Enterprise across all the components in the suite.

sorina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using trial version that is fundation , my vcenter is 5.0 how to access standalone?although it is state that in system requitement  section :

The vCenter Operations Manager vApp requires the following vSphere environment.
vCenter Operations Manager is compatible with:

• System that serves as the target of data collection: VMware vCenter Server 4.0 U2 or later
  • System running the vApp: VMware vCenter Server 4.0 U2 or later
  • Host running the vApp: ESX/ESXi 4.0 or higher

1) why does not vcenter5? I use  suite License 35095-MXF50-J8H50-09CH5-HRK01 ,but is not found

2) what function is lost when you dont have Lic???

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Sorina,

I'll try to answer your questions one by one:

1) vcops has two ways of installing - vApp and Standalone:

- vApp is the virtual-appliance, while Standalone is an executable which you install either on Windows or Linux machine.
   Standalone also requires an external database (oracle or mssql) in order to work, and is a bit more-complex to setup.
- vApp has both vsphere-ui and custom-ui, while the "Standalone" install has only custom-ui.

- Foundation mode is supported only for the vApp install.

2) See comment #2 if this thread. Some vcops license-keys work only  with vSphere 5.1,
   some work with vSphere 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0. You need the correct license key depending on vSphere version used.
   There is no license-related limitations imposed on which VC to use, just pick the right key.

3) When you don't have license, vcops works in foundations-editions mode. You don't get most of the product - the list is long Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sorina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

very very thanks gradinka

1)

Ok I understand usage of Lic, but now my Lic OPs 5.0.3 is expired and i dont have vcenter 5.1 , I shoud demo this product to my senior Admin my concern is this product that is expired now dont work good. I dont have time to update vcenter 5.0 to 5.1 .could you say me some problem that will occure for expired demo?

2) do you have any doc for subject "what is new in 5.6"?

0 Kudos
sorina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

my first question is not answered?

I have seen this link that  you placed I mean a peresentation for what is new .i wan to peresent to my admin Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Serina,

If you are looking for a Demo Lic key you can get one from you local VMware Systems Engineer.

Failing that, email me offline with your details and I can make a plan for you.

0 Kudos
STVKR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can still see the Foundation UI which does not need any license.

0 Kudos
STVKR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

taopiglet,

you should be seeing 12 files which were shown in the attached image. Please check whether all these are available ?

0 Kudos
taopiglet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem was I was trying to use a Suite License on VCenter 5.0.  I was able to get a Standard license from the Download Page for VCenter Operations Manager.  Using that key fixed my issue.  Thanks for the help.

Dave Hudson Sr. Systems Admin - Virtualization
0 Kudos
INSPSC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

i am confused too.  I have a vCenter 5.1 and vCOPs 5.6 with the Single License Key (vCloud Suite Enterprise) but vCOPS says its Advanced Edition shouldn't this be the Enterprise Edition?

Greetz,

Peter

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

there's been a bit of a change between license modes in 5.6 vs 5.0.x.

The new "Advanced" is comparable the old "Enterprise", at least in terms of UI features.

So when you see "License mode: Advanced" in vcops 5.6, that means you get both vsphere_ui and custom_ui.
(and you needed Enterprise license in 5.0.x for that)

0 Kudos