VMware Cloud Community
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How to stop unwanted Alerts in vcops 502 vapp ent?

I have an alert condition which happens with great regularity - Lost Network Connectivity on DVPorts. My vsphere admin says he turned off the alarm a long time ago and he thinks vcops might be reporting on the event and not on the alarm. Screenshot attached.

How do I get this alert to stop appearing in vcops? Does he have the correct setting in vsphere?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is the alarm enabled?

alarm.PNG

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vcops is monitoring for certain events (this one included), not for VC-based alarms.

but vcops alerts must auto-cancel once the "opposite" event occurs, e.g. network is restored.

there is no way to disable vcops-alerting for a *specific* event at the moment.

ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Im sorry, I dont really get this.... are you saying that I should leave the alerts in place until a clear occurs? Doesnt this event occur when a move happens? How would a clear ever happen?

If we cant filter out these events wont they drag performance down? I can get hundreds per day.

Hope thats on the list for enhancements if thats the case. Maybe im not reading this correctly. Will you clarify?

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

let's have a step back - on which object are you getting those alerts - isn't it the VC?

So, why would you get plenty of them?

can you also post a screenshot of the alert in vcops that you're getting.

thanks!

0 Kudos
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Gradinka, these are host based alerts and I get three for each time the event occurs. Screenshot attached. host names blacked out. This is also reflected in the healthscore of the device.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

well, is that:

1) 3 per host each time?

2) or 3 "total", for 3 different hosts...

As far as I remember, upgrading to 5.0.3 should reduce the number of those, they should be consolidated into one.

I will check about that specific event, but once the connectivity is restored, faults should go away - isn't that the case?

another thing you can do is uncheck the "

Generate alerts on individual faults

and see how that works for you.

0 Kudos
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks Gradinka... I willl make the suggestion to the vsphere admins.

It is 3 per host each time an event occurs. I logged in one Tuesday after long weekend and had over 2000 alerts - so I dont think they are clearing on there own.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

in vcops 5.6 that behavior is even better optimised , I'd suggest to try it out if possible.

you can have a separate install etc.

0 Kudos