VMware Cloud Community
bdeltel
Contributor
Contributor

How to create and report a monthly list of VM removed /deleted in vROPS

Bonjour,

In my current vROPS monthly report I have the number of VM created during a 30 days period. Then I calculate the total amount of resources used by the new VMs. I have a view with a display of CPU mem and datastore usage per month for the last six months.

But I cannot find how to calculate the number of VM removed/deleted. If possible, I need to know how much CPU, mem and disk has been saved when the VMs were removed.

I have the information in an excel file, and I can compare two months but this is a manual operation.

I have some information in Log Insight.

How can I integrate and display that information in my dashboard?

Regards.

Bernard

Bernard Delattre VCI, VCP5, VCAP
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Hi

There is no dashboard or view that shows you about deleted VM's .

There are multiple dashboards available which can help you in Capaticity optimization of our environment .

Please read through below blog to understand how capacity optimization works:

Capacity Optimization for Your Managed Environment

You can reclaim size from oversized VM's .

Every collection cycle the data will be updated, but there is nothing automatic which would show list of VM's and there resources which came up.

Instead that would be added to the host resources and be available.

Please mark this as "correct" or " Helpfull" if this answers your query.

regards

Gayathri

bdeltel
Contributor
Contributor

Bonjour,

thanks for your answer. I have already a lot of information for the capacity and I created a few super metrics for the optimization. But my customer wants to see the what/which/when a VM has been removed in the monthly report. I have no problem to calculate, see what has been created for the last month and display the difference of the previous month with the super metrics.

In the Log Insight, by filtering the "vc_event_type contains com.vmware.vim25.VmRemovedEvent" I have the list of VM removed. But I cannot find that information in the vROPS.

Is there a possibility to "send" the information to the vROPS?

Regards.

Bernard

Bernard Delattre VCI, VCP5, VCAP
0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

I dont think so this can be achieved.

But you can try to track VM deletion from vrops by alerts but maintaining what resources were left over from each VM in last 1 month or any duration.

I dont think there is some thing like this.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
nmanm0305
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I track VM deletions in Log Insight, for the same reason. vROPS allows me to calculate resource amounts, but does not track the actual VM names.  For a given reporting period, I refer to the Log Insight alerts for a list of VMs that were deleted.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos