VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How to configure Generic Scoreboard widget to interact with other widgets in 5.6?

In vCops 5.6 I can see that the Generic Scoreboard can act as a receiving widget.   However,  I cannot figure out how to set it up to receive data and match up to the metrics selected.  For example,  I would like to have 3 cluster metrics appear the scoreboard and then choose a cluster in the Enterprise Health and have it change the metrics to use the cluster selected.  I can't seem to choose a cluster metric without choosing a specific cluster.

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Interaction to Generic Scoreboard Widget is designed for using the "Res. Interaction Mode" configuration. For other cases it is impossible to see interaction results for the widget.

Interaction by "Res. Interaction Mode" configuration works only for predefined metrics (predefined in XML file). Also that resource must be provided during interaction (from providing widget to Generic Scoreboard).User can set interested metrics, to be reflected on Scoreboard widget after performing resource interaction.

Please see below steps to configure and set interesting metrics via XML file and enable interaction for them, in Generic Scoreboard widget:

1) Edit "sampleScoreboard.xml" file in: /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat-enterprise/webapps/vcops-custom/WEB-INF/classes/resources/reskndmetrics

2) Configure XML file by your preferable Adapter Kind, Resource Kind and Metrics, Color/Threshold ranges for each attribute/metric. And see that only your set metrics will be reflected after resource interaction to Generic Scoreboard widget (by resource).

3) Set "Self Provider" to OFF in Scoreboard widget edit mode.

4) Select interaction from your providing to Generic Scoreboard widget.

After performing such a configuration, you can make interaction by resource to Generic Scoreboard widget.

hope this helps Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Interaction to Generic Scoreboard Widget is designed for using the "Res. Interaction Mode" configuration. For other cases it is impossible to see interaction results for the widget.

Interaction by "Res. Interaction Mode" configuration works only for predefined metrics (predefined in XML file). Also that resource must be provided during interaction (from providing widget to Generic Scoreboard).User can set interested metrics, to be reflected on Scoreboard widget after performing resource interaction.

Please see below steps to configure and set interesting metrics via XML file and enable interaction for them, in Generic Scoreboard widget:

1) Edit "sampleScoreboard.xml" file in: /usr/lib/vmware-vcops/tomcat-enterprise/webapps/vcops-custom/WEB-INF/classes/resources/reskndmetrics

2) Configure XML file by your preferable Adapter Kind, Resource Kind and Metrics, Color/Threshold ranges for each attribute/metric. And see that only your set metrics will be reflected after resource interaction to Generic Scoreboard widget (by resource).

3) Set "Self Provider" to OFF in Scoreboard widget edit mode.

4) Select interaction from your providing to Generic Scoreboard widget.

After performing such a configuration, you can make interaction by resource to Generic Scoreboard widget.

hope this helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That answers my question.  I wish that description was in the doc so I didn't waste a few hours trying to figure out how to Interact.

Going forward it would be useful if Interaction could be configured from the existing widget GUI.

An example setup:

• Feed Application Tiers to the Generic Scoreboard
  • All App Tiers have the same Super Metrics and would use the same ranges
  • Select the Super Metrics for a specific App Tier with ranges
  • Click the Self Provider radio button to off.

The widget would then be smart enough to see that you selected App Tier specific metrics and you are now passing a different App Tier with that has the same metrics and it will display them.  If the selected app tier doesnt have the metrics then some or all of the scoreboard would go blue.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos