VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Applying Policy to a Group

I have a supermetric that I want to apply to all cluster and datacenter objects.  I need to add them to a policy.  I created a new policy, but I need to apply my policy to a group.  Right now there is only one group - "universe".

1.  If I apply my policy to the "universe group" - will this perhaps interfere with another policy that is already applied to this group?  Can this group have more than one policy applied to it?

2.  If I don't want to interfere with existing settings - is it better to create a new custom group with just the cluster objects and datacenter objects and then apply this policy to this group?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What you probably need to do is create a custom group with your cluster objects and datacenter objects. Then apply your default policy to this custom group. In the default policy setting, you want to enable your supermetric that you created. It is easier that way than creating a whole new policy just for your supermetric.

--
*** If you like my response, please click "Like" below, if you think I answered your question to the best of my abilities, please mark post as Correct Answer ***

3x vROps Environments implemented across my organization. VDI vROPs 8.4 ::: Epic vROPs 8.4 ::: Shared vROPs 7.0
vROPs Adapters in use: EpicCare & Horizon View Adapter 2.1
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Ok thanks for the input.  What are the advantages/trade-offs of creating a custom group vs using the default "universal group"?

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

A filtering object for policies and dashboards is what i use it for. I have several different environments that need different capacity models so i created different groups for each one for example

production CDC

production clusters

production hosts

production Vms

production datastores

I also create separate group types for each of the above and associate the group with the group type. By doing this the group type will show up under object types when filtering an object list widget and can be used to narrow down what you focus the object list to show. You can then add different groups the the same group type for example

Create Group type Production VMs

Create 3 Groups and associate with production group type (Each group can have a different policy for alerting as an example)

Exchange VMs

SQL Vms

Sharepoint VMs

This means when i look at object types in any widget filter is will see one called Production VMs with 3 members so i can filter the focus of an interacting widget to the environment i want to get the info on instead of separate widgets or dashboards for each environment.

Doing stuff like this will also require policy management and priority ordering

The one piece of advice i give every one is not to use anything that is out of the box and always create custom everything that includes using or associating anything to the universal object

0 Kudos
ooajala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In addition, you can create functional groups too related to a department who want to custom alerting just for their VMs.

--
*** If you like my response, please click "Like" below, if you think I answered your question to the best of my abilities, please mark post as Correct Answer ***

3x vROps Environments implemented across my organization. VDI vROPs 8.4 ::: Epic vROPs 8.4 ::: Shared vROPs 7.0
vROPs Adapters in use: EpicCare & Horizon View Adapter 2.1
0 Kudos