VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Adding 2nd vCenter to vCops and licensing?

I have vCops configured for our internal vCenter.  I want to add a Rackspace instance of vCenter to the same vCops vApp as well.

Can I just go into  vcops/Admin,  click on New Regsitration,  enter the credenital info and expect that vCops will instantiate the new vCenter in vCops?

Also,  do I need separate license key that would need to be entered into the RackSpace vCenter or will it be able to use available licenses from the internal vCenter (which has enough licenses for both environments).

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You could register the additional vCenter with the existing vC Ops vApp instance.  Licensing on the internal vCenter server will apply.

Depending on your available bandwidth and avg latency to the Rackspace instance, and the number of VMs/Hosts you may encounter some issues.  In other words, if you have 100 hosts and 1000 VMs then it could be a problem.  A much smaller environment (10 hosts/100 VMs) may work OK.

It may be that you would just want to set up a vC Ops instance for that vCenter and split your license key.

It would be great if you shared your experience after setting this up.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You could register the additional vCenter with the existing vC Ops vApp instance.  Licensing on the internal vCenter server will apply.

Depending on your available bandwidth and avg latency to the Rackspace instance, and the number of VMs/Hosts you may encounter some issues.  In other words, if you have 100 hosts and 1000 VMs then it could be a problem.  A much smaller environment (10 hosts/100 VMs) may work OK.

It may be that you would just want to set up a vC Ops instance for that vCenter and split your license key.

It would be great if you shared your experience after setting this up.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How should I expect performance issues to manifest themselves?   Would it just be lag for that specific instance of the remote vCenter's info in vCops or could it affect overall performance of vCops?

-Matt

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Matt,

I think it is to just monitor the load on your vcops server.

Things to look at :

1. Networking : have a look at the analytics vm network stats. U should see every 5min a spike of about 1-2mb depending on the size of the environment ( my 960vm, 79 hosts is about 2.2mb)

2. Disk : DT calcs on your analytics might be a bit longer. Look at disk stats to see this for the analytics vm.

3. CPU : the UI vm does capacity rollups stats every 1hour..this might take a bit longer.

Would be great if you can post before and after stats on this.

Hugo.

Send from BlackBerry

0 Kudos