VMware Cloud Community
craigso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 8.2 - Returning helpful error message to vRA from vRO?

In 8.2 there was a bug fixed which now causes vRO to error if called with null or blank parameters are passed to an action. This is easy enough to handle by handling the null/blank value. Something like this:

if var == null or var == ""{ return ""}

Because of this I noticed the errors returned back from vRO are pretty useless. Even if you throw an exception.

My question is when you throw an exception, how can you return a helpful error message back to vRA?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
emacintosh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

are you referring to specifically returning errors back to a customized form from an action?  Or in general returning errors to vRA from deployments of blueprints, xaas, etc.?

Not sure about the former, because I have only ever seen the generic "something is wrong, contact your administrator" type message in a form.  I agree that a custom message there would be nice if possible.

But for the latter, I think you can throw what you want back vRA.  Although, it does seem to get prepended with a bunch of "extensibility" nonsense that our customers don't care about - would be nice to be able to turn that off.

0 Kudos