VMware Cloud Community
Jer2224
Contributor
Contributor

User Selection of Networks in Build Profiles

I have a use case where I've been asked if we can allow our users to request connections to additional networks in addition to a default network.

We have the templates in vCD defined with a vNIC0 connection to a direct connected internal network - for initial connection and RDP functionality etc. I want to include in the build profile the option for users to connect a second vNIC1 to a deployed template which connects to a second vCD external network in addition to the first. Each time I try including custom properties or selecting the networks available, either the network connects to the wrong network, wrong vNIC or neither!

TL;DR How can users request a second vNIC connected to second external vCD network whilst ALWAYS having vNIC0 connected to a primary vCD external network?

Thanks.

Jeremy.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
awjudge
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You should be able to use the property VirtualMachine.Network1.Name to define the network that the second NIC of the VM will connect to. Which custom properties have you tried so far?

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Are you driving vCD with vCAC? And are you trying to add the second NIC post provisioning or as part of the build process?

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
Jer2224
Contributor
Contributor

@awjudge. I found the VirtualMachine.Network1.Name custom property, but can't figure out how to make it a selectable option in the customer request. I tried adding it to the blueprint but the network doesn't get connected during the build process.

GrantOrchardVMware Yes - driving multiple vCD 5.5 Orgs with vCAC 6.0.1. All the blueprints use template vApps from a public catalog in vCD, each with a single network connected. During provisioning, I want to give the users the option to connect a second vNIC to a second network whilst preserving the first one as the primary connection. Ideally, I'd also like to give them the option to add the 2nd NIC and connect the second network as a post-provisioning action.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jer2224
Contributor
Contributor

I have defined VirtualMachine.Network0/1/2 in build profiles, with prompt user set for networks 1/2 (the theory being that the first always gets connected, then the second and third are optionally selected by the user on request. Strange thing is that the third network is usually the one that gets connected to vNIC0 by default, as this is first alphabetically I assume - from the selected networks available as set on the reservation. Frustrating.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Ok, I haven't played with multiple networks for vCD but I'll do some testing today for you. To make sure this is like for like, are you talking vApp networking for both NICs?

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
Jer2224
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Grant,

Yes - vApp networking. The template VMs inside the vApps in the public catalog have single vNICs at the moment (vNIC0), connected to a specific vCD 'internal' management network. I ideally want the option of a second vNIC to be selectable by the user - if selected, connect a second vCD 'external' public network X to vNIC1 whilst preserving vNIC0s connection to the internal management network.

Thanks.

Jeremy.

0 Kudos