VMware Cloud Community
cowhowUTA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Destroy VM Confirmation

My question deals with confirming a destroy action prior to actually deleting the VM.  In the vRA vcac under Items and Deployments when you highlight a deployment, select destroy and then Submit there is no further confirmation of what you're about to do.  Once our deployment is in production I see this as a possible issue with someone fat fingering the wrong deployment.  Is there a better way to do this or am I missing something?  Or, can you tell me I'm fretting over nothing?

Thanks,

Tony

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Well, there is some risk associated with that, true, but...that's life in IT. Someone would have to fat finger two or three steps in order for it to actually destroy an entire deployment. They'd have to pick a deploy, pick destroy, and then fat finger clicking the "Submit" button. That's a lot of mistakes, and if you find people are doing this then they either need some better education or don't need to have the destroy deployment action entitled to them. The latter may be a better solution in which a role can create deployments but never destroy them. And maybe you only give that ability to managers in your business group.

0 Kudos
cowhowUTA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree, but if I highlight the deployment I want to destroy I then would go to actions and select Destroy.  The only step left is clicking the Submit button in the lower right.  There's no other step in this process to make you rethink what you're about to do and when you've got several pages of deployments to scroll through I just see that as an easy mistake to make.  As we deploy vRA to our admins I just want to make sure they understand the destruction process with it's risks so they can be aware.  For them vRA is a new paradigm.

Thanks,

Tony

0 Kudos
eservent
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi CowhowUTA,

As you can't change the built-in behavior action, I did some new Xaas Resource Actions binding to Deployment Resource type.

And with this XaaS Actions, you can add information, warning,check or anything, before allow "Submit" action.

Furthermore, in vRO, it's easy to code a workflow that run "Destroy" action on the deployment.

Emmanuel.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Emmanuel.
0 Kudos