VMware Cloud Community
SwanseaUni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Calling VrO Workflow from vra form ?

Hi i'm very new to vcloud and we have a custom form to deploy a windows server, one of the drop down boxes in the form uses the VrO action "getAllDRSVmGroupPerCluster" to display a list of the VM DRS groups, how do i then call the workflow "Add virtual machines to DRS group " from the form using group name as one of the propeties selected in the drop down box ?

i just seem to be going round in circles and am clearly missing something ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Czernobog
Expert
Expert

Assuming you use vRA 7.x, have added the workflow to vRA and can select it under "XaaS Blueprints": when you open the blueprint editor all inputs of the workflow will be shown in the tab "Blueprint Form". You can then select the relevant input, that you want to populate with the action, and on the right hand side you will see a new menu. There you select the Constraints tab and "Value:"  - in the drop-down you can select "External" and in the new input field you will have to select a vRO action, that will populate the previously selected workflow input field. The output of the action has to be of the same type as the workflow input.

SwanseaUni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry I should have specified we have v8.3 with the embedded vro

0 Kudos
SwanseaUni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have imported the workflow as a resource Action but then don’t seem to be able to reference it anywhere in v8 blueprints it’s very frustrating and I must be missing something but the documentation is clear as mud 

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

Resource actions enable the user to run a WF after the deployment completed (a.k.a day2 actions).

If you want to run it at deployment time, you'll need an Event Broker Subscription (EBS). This will run at some point of time during the deployment process (you choose when) and its input must be the type of Properties. Within the input you'll find the machine properties you assign on the blueprint. You need to process the input and call the DRS workflow from this EBS.

As you are new to vRA, I recommend watching this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaYd4jpw4Y&list=PL1JSSDnw-d0E-A4bo5XD8OfGFeJ_e5Qqh

SwanseaUni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Many thanks for that great explanation @xian_ I will definitely check out the ebs and those videos you posted and will report back next week, thanks son for taking the time to respond 🙂

0 Kudos
gurun72
Contributor
Contributor

Great solutions @xian_ just wondering how to leverage this workflow with a vRA deployment - ie: pass the resource / VMname so the ISO mounts pre boot up of my deployed template.

Cheers

0 Kudos