VMware Cloud Community
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

7.1 and bulk import blueprints.

I must be missing something here since the documentation just completely glosses over the creation of a blueprint for bulk imports.

I can make an empty blueprint, publish and assign rights to it. It's visible in the catalog, but the drop down in the bulk import wizard when specifying the blueprint is always empty.

Any clues, hints, or a how-to?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So no one has managed to generate a CSV for bulk import yet?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You can't create an empty composite blueprint. It also needs a component machine in it but nothing else, e.g a network component or software component. The blueprint must be entitled to the IaaS infra user who is doing in the import.

0 Kudos
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can't create an empty composite blueprint. It also needs a component machine in it but nothing else, e.g a network component or software component. The blueprint must be entitled to the IaaS infra user who is doing in the import.

As a user with full rights, I create a new blueprint, select "machine types",  drag 'n drop "vsphere machine" and set storage. Create catalog item, and set entitlements. Blueprint is now available from catalog tab.

Switching over to the infrastructure tab and navigating to bulk imports and "generating CSV file" gets me to the wizard where I fill in the group and user with god rights that created the blueprint. Business group and owner populate fine. Blueprint field is empty, component machine is empty. Filters are OK.

This was sooo much easier in v6  :smileycry:

0 Kudos
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a Hands on Lab that covers this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Something is wrong. Mine works fine..  Even the user I am logged in as does not have that blueprint entitled.

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 15.32.42.png

I've used bulk import to import VirtualMachines in 7.1 and it's the same as v6. Actually, just testing this, a new blueprint shows even if I have only published it without any entitlements.

Can you create a new blank composite blueprint, drag on a vSphere Machine filling out Build Information > Blueprint Type: Server , Provisioning Workflow : Clone , Clone From:  <Your Template>. Then save and publish and try that. Thats all I've just done in my 7.1 env. Log in to the vRealize Automation console as a fabric administrator and as a business group manager.

0 Kudos
ARuvVD11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had left the blue print with defaults, set to create a new server and not clone. Unfortunately, even after removing the blue print and starting over with a clone, it is still not being populated 😕

0 Kudos
OHA2EMC
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

Have you been able to fix the issue? I got the same one

thanks

0 Kudos
rmav01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Having the same exact issue as the original poster but with 7.2. I have a simple blueprint with one vSphere server item, no software components or NSX items, and it's published/entitled. I'm getting an empty dropdown as well. I also have a multi-tenant environment and have gotten bitten in the past with things because of VMware's poor implementation of it. Are any of you that are experiencing the issue also using multiple tenants? Wondering if this guy is being masked somewhere:

Unable to generate CSV file to import virtual machines in vRA 7.x (2146299) | VMware KB

I'm going to try using CloudUtil.exe instead and see if it serves as a workaround.

0 Kudos