VMware Horizon Community
janhosselaer
Contributor
Contributor

App Volumes support Windows server 2016

Hi,

Is App Volumes Manager installation supported on Windows Server 2016?

And is the App Volumes agent supported on Windows Server 2016 (RDSH)?

In the release notes I only see Windows server 2012 R2 as latest supported version.

7 Replies
srodgers219
Contributor
Contributor

I was just hunting for this same information. I spun up a desktop-mode Server 2016 linked clone pool and captured a few appstacks with the base image, but attempting to attach them to the linked clones results in errors within the AppVolumes Manager. The AVM does not seem to recognize the OS at all, so I am assuming that it is not yet supported. Interestingly though, the AV Agent allowed me to install it on the 2016 instance with no complaints and the machine even shows up in AVM as an 'enabled' managed computer.

Unfortunate, because Horizon 7 and UEM both support Server 2016 without issues. AppVolumes has Windows 10 support already, so I am sure that it would not be difficult for VMware to add support for Server 2016 in AppVolumes as well.

For reference, the error I see in AVM when it tries to attach the appstack is this:

ERROR Manager: Unhandled request exception: undefined method `id' for nil:NilClass

0 Kudos
janhosselaer
Contributor
Contributor

I hope the next release will support it. Should be out soon.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

I've been running app volumes on windows 2016 RDSH for months now and it has been working great although its not supported. I added a line in the operation_systems database table to add support for 2016.

janhosselaer
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. Will try this, until it is fully supported.

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
srodgers219
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for posting this! I did not even think to check the database tables. I just tried this and it worked like a charm; attached an appstack to my 2016-based linked clone without an issue.

0 Kudos
gsspanakis
Contributor
Contributor

App Volumes runs without an issue with server 2016. Be sure to be on App Volumes version 2.18.6.24

0 Kudos
Micheal_A
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Go here for what OS versions are supported with our product versions.

https://interopmatrix.vmware.com/Solution

Micheal_A_0-1638545896586.png

VMware EUC by Broadcom
https://techzone.vmware.com/
0 Kudos