VMware Communities
vannguyen0
Contributor
Contributor

Horrendously slow network connection between host and guest

I have VMWare Workstation 6 installed on a Vista x64 host. I just installed Vista x64 as a guest. I have the latest patches on both and I have installed VM Tools on the guest.

Copying files via standard microsoft networking is horrendously slow!! I am using a bridged connection. I've tried copying the file from the host to the guest and vice version. Same thing - transfer rates are at about 5kb/s.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vannguyen0
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry... forgot to mention:

Downloading files from the internet on the guest is fine... I get what I would on the host. I ran a speedtest on the guest and saw that the download speed on the guest is roughly 6500Kb/s.

0 Kudos
koawmfot
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same problem. this occured right after upgrading from 6.0.2 to 6.0.3. i am running vista sp1 x64 as the host and all the guest os (xp, 2k, winflp, and windows pe 1.1 and 2.0) have a terrible time connecting via the network to my host. they can go through the host just fine and can access any remote file shares, but the file shares on the host are brutally slow. anyone??

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

What kind of physical connection do you use?

What about using a second vNIC for the guest, type "host-only", and using this one for connectiong host and guest? Using the "host-only" network prevents using the physical NIC.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
koawmfot
Contributor
Contributor

i tried that and the host only connection is fine. but if this is something that used to work and i have hundrededs of snapshots in varous states with only one nic currently, that is a real management messs trying to fix everything. especially trying to fix somehting that used to work fine.

i tired doing a tracert to the host system, in thebroken cinfiguration, and it couldn't get a cingle reply back.

edit: i tired going the other way, from the host into the a guest's share and the speed was just as slow. windows was telling me 22 KB/sec.

0 Kudos
binxboll
Contributor
Contributor

Some time ago I encountered a similar slow host/guest networking problem. At that time I was using a linux host and xp guest. I think I remember that the fix for the problem was to disable TCP Segmentation Offload on the host. This is a feature of modern NICs. To disable TSO under linux, use the command

ethtool -k eth0 tso off

I do not know how to do the same thing in vista. Try looking at the adapter properties in the device manager.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Good note!

To disable TCP Chimney use the "netsh" command:

"netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled"

or

"netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED"

I do not have Vista, so I don't know the exact syntax.

AWo

Message was edited by: AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
nextech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm having the same exact problem. Seems that it still exists even today!

VMWare is definitely sleeping on the job when it comes to fixing this bug.

This problem has been posted hundreds of times, but VMWare doesn't seem to be doing anything to fix it, and there doesn't seem to be any fix (as of yet).

I just found this post (as well as hundreds of others on various other websites while using google) but there doesn't seem to be any solution to the problem as of yet. The Developers haven't seem to addressed the issue, nor does there seem to be any fix.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1191782#1191782

0 Kudos
nextech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AWo,

This is related to Windows Vista x64, and has nothing to do with Linux.

<strong<br />"netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled"+

or

"netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED"

I do not have Vista, so I don't know the exact syntax.

AWO, no this is a completely different problem. This is a problem related

to Windows Vista x64 SP1 (host OS) machines. My Host (Windows Vista

x64 Ultimate SP1) and my guest OS (Windows Server x64 Enterprise) are

not Linux machines, so this has nothing to do with Linux. This is a

Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 specific problem.

The problem is specific to Windows Vista x64 and is discussed here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1191782#1191782

0 Kudos