VMware Cloud Community
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Register Virtual Machine timeout (queued)

Hi.

System:

VC 2.0.2

6x ESX 3.0.2 in cluster

SAN EVA 5000 for LUNs

I'e downloaded a virtual appliance (UDA 1.4 - http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/232) but I don't think my problem is specific to the appliance itself.

I unpacked the zip file and copied all files to a vmfs3 LUN (.vmdks, .vmx and nvram) with winscp.

I then run the following that I read for correct permissions:

chmod 755 *.vmx

chmod 660 nvram

Then I browse the datastore and click "Add to inventory" to register the VM in Virtual Center but the task gets a timeout. It's queued for 15 minites then aborts. I can't find anything useful in the logs.

I assume I'm missing something simple here to get a downloaded virtual appliance to work. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sd76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

oddly enough I am getting this errors since I upgraded my VC to version 2.0.2. Sometimes even changing the cd-rom settings for a vm brings a timeout. You might try restarting the ESX host agent with "service mgmt-vmware restart". This is the only way getting back on track in my case.

HTH

sd76

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Argyle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can add that when I try register the VM through command line I get an unknown error.

\[root@esx01]# vmware-cmd -s register /vmfs/volumes/Sys-Disk-09/UDAServer/uda14.vmx

VMControl error -999: Unknown error

0 Kudos
sd76
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

oddly enough I am getting this errors since I upgraded my VC to version 2.0.2. Sometimes even changing the cd-rom settings for a vm brings a timeout. You might try restarting the ESX host agent with "service mgmt-vmware restart". This is the only way getting back on track in my case.

HTH

sd76

0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Does anyone have a better answer than "restart it"? I'm seeing the same thing with a downloaded appliance (Zenoss 2.0.6).

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos
TheRealJason
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ever since I did the upgrade to 3.0.2 and 2.0.2, I am experiencing the same problem. I nearly drove myself nuts, thinking there was something wrong with the way I was moving the appliance files to the server. When I read this thread, I tried to connect directly to the host with the VI client, and add to inventory that way. Lo and behold, it added with no timeout and no trouble. Now, the machine does not show up in the VC inventory, so I am trying to figure out how to resolve that.

Anyone have insight into what is going on?

0 Kudos
postmaster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello

Do you have solved this issue, I have the same error with VC2.5 but here the host ESX (3.0.1 buil 32039) change state to disconneted when I register a new virtual appliance from "browse datastore and register menu". But in the different steps I don't have the opportunity to specified the ESX host who must run the registred machine (only the choice of the cluster or pool).

The appliance was downloaded from vmware site, copied into VMFS file system on a SAN. Chmod as described in this post.

thanks

0 Kudos